Clutch slippage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slippage

Now that I have my 83 GS750ES making some decent power, and I'm actually getting to ride it, i have found that (on occasion) if I get on the power hard, the clutch will let go a bit. The oil was changed recently to Bel-ray Synthetic 0W-40, and the bike has 63,000 kms (36,000 miles) on it. Should I be looking at a new clutch yet, or is the oil too thin, or ???
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Unclesol
    Now that I have my 83 GS750ES making some decent power, and I'm actually getting to ride it, i have found that (on occasion) if I get on the power hard, the clutch will let go a bit. The oil was changed recently to Bel-ray Synthetic 0W-40, and the bike has 63,000 kms (36,000 miles) on it. Should I be looking at a new clutch yet, or is the oil too thin, or ???
    Thanks.
    I would move up to 10-40 oil and see how it makes out. The thinner oil could be the problem.

Comment

Make sure the oil you are using doesn't have friction modifiers in it.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins
        I would move up to 10-40 oil and see how it makes out. The thinner oil could be the problem.
        Thanks for the tip, and enjoy the trail! A beautiful ride, and a very distracting one...Wish I could join you!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          Make sure the oil you are using doesn't have friction modifiers in it.
          Thanks Jethro!

Comment

Pull the steels and hit them with a bead blaster. Then re-install and shim a couple of the springs to increase the spring pressure. I had a honda I used to dragrace alot. Did this at least once a year. Tons of drag launches all on the original clutch this way.

Comment

I doubt the oil weight is an issue here. I race a GSX-R 750 (ex-factory race bike) that also used 0 weight oil (as done by the factory race mechanics... 0-20 or 0-30, it's been a while) and never had any clutch slipping problems.

Comment

Working...
              X