Pingle is getting stiff..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingle is getting stiff..

I've had a Pingel petcock on my bike for several years and it's great. Lately, I've noticed that it's gotten a little more difficult to turn the lever back and forth. Is there any way to rectify the situation without removing it?? I know they make rebuild kits but it doesn't seem like that would be necessary yet. Thanks!
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-12-2006, 01:17 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Petcocks are one of the few things I have alot of experiance with. I'm taking a guess here that some dirt got into it and is making it a bit harder to turn. Since it sounds like you move it every now and again, it might need a rebuild, but it should be ok for a little bit.

I would run it out of gas in reserve and take some air to it then put it back togeather. Unfortunatly, I don't think you can do anything about it with out taking it off, but it shouldn't be that hard to give it a quick clean. If that helps, take a look at it and maybe plan a petcock rebuild for a rainy weekend.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, Bud! I imagine you're right. Since it's not much of an issue yet, I think I'll wait until it starts raining again (about Thanksgiving):-D

Comment

You can remove the petcock with gas in the tank, just turn it on it's side. I take mine out and spray WD40 right into the intake and output. Move it around a bit and it usually is just like new for the next year or so.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Is the pingle all metal on the inside? Does it have any O-rings or plastic?

Comment

O-rings

It has rubber O-rings inside. I think Jethro's idea about the WD-40 sounds like a pretty cool trick. That stuff isn't good for everything...but it's good for a lot of problems. Thanks to Jethro...and to all.:-D :-D

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
              It has rubber O-rings inside. I think Jethro's idea about the WD-40 sounds like a pretty cool trick. That stuff isn't good for everything...but it's good for a lot of problems. Thanks to Jethro...and to all.:-D :-D
              Hey, no problem! I consider WD40 like a soapy kerosene. It is a terrible lube, and only marginal for breaking stuck bolts. Just about the only thing I use it for is cleaning- which it is awesome at. In this case, it is cleaning gummy deposits off the rubber inside the petcock. The kerosene side of it carries the deposits away. It's a killer cleaning product- that's about it.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X