carb adjustments for mods..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb adjustments for mods..

I'm sure you are all getting sick of hearing from me by now, but... As I look into my troubles more I realive that I am going to have to readjust my newly rebuilt carbs because of the mods I bought my bike with... What adjustments are needed to accomodate 1) pod filters 2) 4-1 headers with a Vance&Hines pipe on my "81 750L?? I JUST (as in Wed.) rebuilt my carbs only to find that now I'm probably going to have to change !@#$ everything... Unless I can find a complete air box assembly which is turning out to be TOUGH. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to thank everyone who has helped thus far. I'm feel like I'm becoming the pain in the a$$ new guy here... AS ALWAYS..](*,)

Originally posted by BGrey
    I'm sure you are all getting sick of hearing from me by now, but... As I look into my troubles more I realive that I am going to have to readjust my newly rebuilt carbs because of the mods I bought my bike with... What adjustments are needed to accomodate 1) pod filters 2) 4-1 headers with a Vance&Hines pipe on my "81 750L?? I JUST (as in Wed.) rebuilt my carbs only to find that now I'm probably going to have to change !@#$ everything... Unless I can find a complete air box assembly which is turning out to be TOUGH. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to thank everyone who has helped thus far. I'm feel like I'm becoming the pain in the a$$ new guy here... AS ALWAYS..](*,)
    I would suggest raising the clips on the needles by one notch, and possibly going up one size on the mains. In any case, make changes in smaller increments so you can keep track. Good luck!

Comment

You might be able to adjust your existing set-up to work. But from what I have seen and read, going with a DynoJet kit is the way to go. Finding a stock airbox kind of defeats the purpose of the V&H pipe.
      I have a V&H and K&N's on my 1000. I went with the DynoJet kit and I am very happy with it. After just a few adjustments (and help from Keith Krause and Hoomgar), the bike is running perfect.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

If you saw my previous posts you have my input on carb-mods. I prefer pods for the simple reason that I can easily access the carbs. I find the air-box to be a serious pain in the $#@.

If you have already purchased another set of pods don't worry about the air-box. We can help you get the carbs right. But, you will need to check your mains and let me know what type of pods you are using.

Renobruce is right. YOu headers/pipes are sorta being wasted if you go back to the air-box.

One thing of major importance is to realize that the pods and header/pipe should not affect the idle circuit. Once you get the idle correct the rest is fairly easy. Just a matter of replacing the mains (if no-one has yet) and posssibly drilling out your slide holes (if no-one has yet). Worse case senario, you might have to purchase some air-correctors. The air-correctors may or may not be required.

As stated above, the easiest way to do all this is to purchase a dynojet kit. The kits are around $120.00, but again, since your machine already had pods, someone may have already changed the components I'm talkin' about.

Check your mains (fuel mains), your main air jets (on the front of air-side of your carbs) and see if you can tell if your slides have been drilled.

Let me know what size the fuel mains are, and the air jets are and we can go from there.

It may seem that you will never get it right, but I assure you, you can. And you will indeed have a jewel.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
          You might be able to adjust your existing set-up to work. But from what I have seen and read, going with a DynoJet kit is the way to go. Finding a stock airbox kind of defeats the purpose of the V&H pipe.
          I have a V&H and K&N's on my 1000. I went with the DynoJet kit and I am very happy with it. After just a few adjustments (and help from Keith Krause and Hoomgar), the bike is running perfect.
          What he said. Get the DynoJet kit. Stage III believe it or not. I could have saved a lot of time with my rejet if I would have just got it right off but I fooled around waisitng everyones time trying to do it with Mikuni parts. With PODs and a V&H header your not going to get it right with Mikuni parts unless your an absolute pro or just luck out. Just get the kit and getr dun!

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice, but the more I think about it, I think I'm going to go back to the airbox for the time being, as I just dropped $100 on factory sized rebuild kits and and an evenings labour. The stage III kits and the pods can be a winter project when I have more time and more $.

Comment

Originally posted by BGrey
              Thanks for all the great advice, but the more I think about it, I think I'm going to go back to the airbox for the time being, as I just dropped $100 on factory sized rebuild kits and and an evenings labour. The stage III kits and the pods can be a winter project when I have more time and more $.
              And are not even needed. Go back to the air box and if you can find stock pipes your even better set. Way easier to maintain.

Comment

Working...
              X