Oil pressure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure question

When I ride my bike for a while to really get it warmed up (about a 1/2 hour) my oil pressure light comes on when I come to a stop. My oil level seems right. Could this mean a bad oil filter? I haven't tried an oil change yet. Any input?

Curt

Could be alot of things. First check your wiring on the pressure switch. You can also unscrew the plastic "nut" on the switch.. check to see if it's gunked up. Change the oil and filter and use regular 'ole 10-40. If that does not fix it, pull your oil pan and check the strainer. It may be full of gunk like mine was. If that does not fix it, pull your oil pump off, check the clearances per the manual, and replace the o-rings on the pump.
    If that doesn't fix it, you need to get rid of the bike.... I'll take it.
    Last edited by renobruce; 05-12-2006, 11:50 PM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Try a different oil. The O rings on the oil pump may be leaking Personally I would not be overly conserned as long as it goes out. You must remember the GS roller motors only have 1-7 lbs of oil pressure when hot

Comment

Originally posted by curt101
        When I ride my bike for a while to really get it warmed up (about a 1/2 hour) my oil pressure light comes on when I come to a stop. My oil level seems right. Could this mean a bad oil filter? I haven't tried an oil change yet. Any input?

Curt
        How many mi. are on your bike?

Comment

Speedo says 34K, but I think some work has been done along the way as far as a rebuild goes. Not 100% sure though.

Comment

Working...
          X