Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float level, quick-urgent question...

Another carb question..

I hope to be able to finish and start my GS today ( raining , windy and cold but I want it hard ;-) )

I re-assembled my carbs and petcock, cleaned the tank, but I am having a hard time figuring what the float level should be... All I have is a Clymer and the Forum's search feature did not return anything, WHERE do I adjust the float level? Starting from the float pivot, there is the piece of steel where the adjust tang is, then it stays flat for a few millimeters, then there is a curb-slope , logically ( and also on brass floats ), one would adjust it at the highest point of the float, but in this particular case, the highest point is close to the pivot point, so, should I measure the highest-flat point which is close to the pivot point, or adjust to the highest point farther from the pivot point? Even by looking closely at the Clymer's picture with a magnifying glass I can't tell ( no kidding! ). I wish I nad a digital camera to show what I mean..
    Can someone who knows tell me ? also, does the GS650 like to have it's float level high ( 21.4 ) or on the low ( 23.4 ) side?
    And maybe a quickie: I bought it with a Uni-filter installed, so will use it this way , but after I clean it, which oil should I use? they say NOT to use engine oil because it will slowly "fall" to the bottom of the foam, I do have K&N oil for the gauze-type, would that be good?

Thanks and regards,

float height

float measurement point is the horizontal part which joins the pivot to the float.

carb measurement point is the surface where the gasket would sit. If you measure from the gasket, remember to deduct the thickness.

Any height in that range is OK, seems to be little difference.

Make sure your bowl vents are open to the atmosphere, or gas will just run out and flood everything.

Not sure about the K&N oil for the filter.

Bonne chance

Comment

just buy a Uni foam filter kit for the filter.

As for the level, in between those two ranges should be fine. not much help here.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will correct my adjustment ( I always take my time to do it right, but hate to do it twice :-) )

As for the oil, There is a motorcycle dealer not far, so I will stopby and see what they have.. ( found on the web that light chainsaw oil is also good ( tacky ) but when in doubdt I prefer the right thing )
        Hopefully I will see if that engine can start today...

Comment

Working...
        X