dumb question... 1983 GS850L 14,000 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb question... 1983 GS850L 14,000 miles

I got a mouth ful of gas inspecting my petcock for diaphragm leaks, which was great (not the gas in the mouth part) I thought I found my problem so I clamped off the vacuum line and set to prime but i am still getting like terrible gas mileage less then 20 m / gallon along with hesitation , and fouled plugs. I cleaned the carbs thoroughly and when the diaphragms were out of the carbs (I dont know how to descibe this well) the needle that sits inside the main jets, 3 of them have spring resistance if I gently pull on them and one diaphragms' needle has spring to it if I push in on it, it also sticks out about a 1/4 inch further than the rest.Does if anyone can make any sense of what im saying, I could use the help...

Let us know about any modifications to the bike. Aftermarket exhaust? filter? pods? jetting? ignition? etc..
    If everything is stock....

Look on eBay for a new petcock, new diaphragm, or petcock rebuild kit for your 850, get that fixed and running without using the prime position.
    If the problem persists....

It sounds like you've got a little bit of work to do. Here's where to start:

1. Buy or review a Clymers maintenance manual for your bike.
    2. Review or print-out the Carb Cleanup Series instructions.
    3. Get a set of o-rings from Robert Barr at www.cycleorings.com. Robert is a GSR member and a lot of us get o-rings from him.
    4. Tear down your carbs completely and clean them using Berryman Chem Dip and by following the Carb Cleanup Series. Make sure not to dip any rubber parts, gaskets, or diaphragms!
    5. Inspect your slides/diaphragms for proper assembly by referencing the parts breakdown HERE. I have a feeling that the one slide with the longer needle is assembled incorrectly of has something broken.
    6. Re-assemble everything, set the pilot air screws to 1.5 turns out from seated, and perform a bench sync by following the instructions HERE.
    7. Install the carbs, clean the air filter, replace plugs with the correct heat rage plugs, charge the battery, check grounds, ect..
    8. Get the bike to idle at ~1100 RPM and adjust each pilot air screw in or out for maximum RPM, one at a time, and set the idle back down to 1100 RPM between adjusting each carb using the idle adjuster knob.
    9. Vacuum sync the carbs!
    10. Check plug readings and let us know.

You might not have to/want to go this in depth, but I suggest you do. If you find the problem right away and fix it, then that's it. This is just a rough plan of action as you may have other issues as well. Ask questions and research the GSR using the search feature. Good luck!
    -dean
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2006, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Im going to work my way through these steps and Im sure ill get to the bottom of my problem, thanks for all your help Dean, and safe riding to you

Comment

Either someone used one wrong needle or assembled them incorrectly into the slides. They are supposed to all be the same length.

Earl

Originally posted by Adler1983
        (I dont know how to descibe this well) the needle that sits inside the main jets, 3 of them have spring resistance if I gently pull on them and one diaphragms' needle has spring to it if I push in on it, it also sticks out about a 1/4 inch further than the rest.Does if anyone can make any sense of what im saying, I could use the help...
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

After disassembly of the diaphragm I saw the problem, A PO forgot to put the washer in that holds spring in place and the spring traveled over the lock ring causing it to extend further so, one less problem on to the next thanks Earl.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler1983
            thanks Earl.
            Well, well, well, glad to see MY post helped!
            Originally posted by ddaum
            5. Inspect your slides/diaphragms for proper assembly by referencing the parts breakdown HERE. I have a feeling that the one slide with the longer needle is assembled incorrectly of has something broken.
            LOL! I'm just kidding! I guess Earl is kinda smart too...\\/
            Glad to hear you found the problem.

Comment

LOL Correction thanks to all, ddaum , now I just have to wait for the petcock repair kit to fly in from Canada

Comment

Ahhhhhh, the sweet smell of satisfaction.....

Comment

Working...
                X