motor/riding questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motor/riding questions

Where are the best places online(most reputable) to buy parts for our gs'? I have an 87 GS450LH.

Now, in a car, they said to shift between 2-3k rpm to maintain the motor life and such. Whats that equivilant in a bike?

Should I use 92 octane gas?

Are there links to online manuals for gs bikes (like mine! )

I have the high idle problem(seems to be an intake leak from the forums) But, I'm bike stupid, does anybody have pictures/online manual/help guide for fixing this?

How long does it take on average to dissassemble the bike?(not completely) But to take everything off the frame.

Thanks!

Martin

Try using 87 octane. I have found that older bikes prefer lower octane. My yamaha starts much easier on 87. It runs just fine with no pinging.

As for shifting, anything below the red mark.

Find a service manual in print or someone may have an digital copy for you.

If you replace the manifolds replace the orings that fit behind them. MacMatic sells them for cheap and the fit is perfect.

Allen

Comment

I was able to take everything off the frame for an upcoming powder-coat in a full day. Of course, since I don't so these very often, I took a fair amount of time documenting where everything went. I took pics with my digital camera, and have everything in a tackle box with a piece of paper saying where the parts in each section came from.

I was working step-by-step off a Clymer's manual for the bike. It's a pretty good guide for this kind of project, but short on detailed pics, which is why I took my own.

Comment

The old intake o-ring shuffle in photos:

The patient in the photos is a four cylinder GS850, and your part numbers may be different, but this should give you the idea. Your engine is basically half a GS850 or GS1000.

Also:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X