Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining Model

Hi,

The VIN on the bike is GS550E..., on the title it is listed as a GS550E. However, on the side covers it has GS550L. The bike was sold to me as a '79 GS550L. How can I determine the correct year and model?

Thanks for any info.

This strikes me as a philisophical question.

Would you rather believe the physical reality of the bike in front of you or the piece of paper from the government? If the VIN matches, then just chalk it up to ignorant bureaucracy.

If the numbers don't match, then someone was up to some funny business with the title -- probably using a good title from a hopeless "E" model to get a title-less "L" back on the road. This is mostly illegal, but may not be entirely dishonorable. You can understand the motivation.

If your state's inspection requirements aren't all that stringent, you can probably get away with it. If you can get it titled in your name without a police inspection where they compare the numbers, then no one will much care.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The L model was the "cruiser" style, with pull-back bars and a stepped seat. The E model was more of a "standard" style with straighter bars and seat. The side covers were not interchangeable, but I am sure you could change the emblems if you wanted to pass a quick inspection.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The vin and title match. Looking at the bike it's an L model cruiser.It does have the pull back style bars and step seat. What's the best way to order parts for the bike? Should I go by the VIN (which says its an E) for ordering parts? That doesn't seem right when looking at the bike itself.

Comment

The leading-axle forks, small tank, rear fender and tail, seat, and sidecovers on yours are all "L" model issue.

This isn't just a cosmetic difference -- the frames are also different.

I'm not sure if these are "E" models, but they're similar -- note the differences in the tank, seat, tail, sidecovers, and fork (never mind Jim's clubman bars and the added fairings)
          This 550 used to be Adam's (AOD), but he sold it recently to another GS-er:

Here's Jim-Cincinnati's 550. Note the plastic tail and flat seat:

Here's JimCor (different Jim) and his high-mileage 550L sporting the fetching "drowned rat" look in North Carolina just after a rainstorm last June.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by fr8_pilot
            The vin and title match. Looking at the bike it's an L model cruiser.It does have the pull back style bars and step seat. What's the best way to order parts for the bike? Should I go by the VIN (which says its an E) for ordering parts? That doesn't seem right when looking at the bike itself.
            Titles don't mean anything when it comes to the bike's model number. My GS700EF has a title that calls it a "G7E". Try using that when you order parts.

Ignore what the title says, go by what the bike is. It is a 1979 GS550LN. Period.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the information. By the way what does the "N" designate?
              Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2006, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X