Cam Timing at 21 teeth????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Timing at 21 teeth????

I started to notice a light ticking sound in the top of the engine. I figured it was valve clearances, so i removed the cover and looked over things. While doing that i noticed my cam timing seemed wrong. So i counted it out and got 21 teeth????? I check my shop manual, and it says 20 teeth.

My question is this: How is it best to go about changing this back... The engine is in the bike, and i'd like to keep it that way.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

EDIT: Would this be the time to install the manual cam tensioner i got? If so, how best is it to install?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2006, 10:49 AM.

What model do you have? If its an automatic tensioner, i would leave that setup, but you might check BWRingers site for rebuild info (easy).

To correct your timing, you dont have to take the engine out. Remove the camshafts (make sure you have something that will keep the chain from sliding down, and dont drop anything in there). you may need to only remove one of the camshafts.

then put back one camshaft at a time, and it shouldnt be hard. make sure you use loctite on the cam-cover bolts.

POOT

Comment

I have the genuine suzuki manual for my ride (GS1100ESD) and it's specification is 20 teeth for cam timing.

I believe this caused it, as the timing was correct on a previous adjustment, and i noticed a different sound out of the top end after a real quick shutoff after a really high reving run, which made me think the tensioner didn't quite hold it tight enough, hence the manual tensioner.

Anyway, I reset the timing, however I am not certain that i have the tension correct. I used the stock tensioner to setup the tensioner, however i don't know if it has enough tension. Any thoughts on proper setting of this?

Comment

Might as well throw in some slotted sprockets and degree them in while its apart. Most of the time they need a little tweeking.

Comment

Working...
        X