Master Cylinder FUBAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinder FUBAR

In the process of installing SS Brakelines this morning my master cylinder decided to give up the ghost. I tightened up the cap on the front cylinder and next thing I knew I was trying to catch it as it fell to the floor, not the cap... the whole cylinder, it just came off, there was a pretty profound amount of crud in the bottom of the res where the rest of the cylinder had broken off. Any suggestions? Buy a replacement?

Upon further inspection and consultation with the old manual, it seems that the two screws that are meant to attach the res to the base have disolved. Does this seem possible, there's no evidence of screws except for a rusty paste at the bottom of the base. How should I go about replacing those screws, any idea what size they should be?

Comment

Check with the $uzuki shop..

they sell replacement resiviors... for about 20... and the screws to attach them.. and yes I have seen the rusted screw syndrome before./.. when the fluid picked up moisture ..

Joe

Comment

Next to battery acid, brake fluid is the most corrosive chemical our bikes ever have contact with. Buy a new resivoir, sounds like yours should be replaced anyway.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X