Progressive spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive spring question

Now that I have my beast regularly road worthy I'm able to stretch her out. I've noticed a lot that the bike tends to wander while cornering, and it also pitches like a bastard if I have to haul it down quickly. I figure that replacing the 25 year old springs wouldn't hurt. I've seen speak of progressive springs on here, and I see I can get front springs and rear coil overs (Progressive brand) from Dennis Kirk for about $330. Sound like a good idea?

It's a fantastic idea. You might be able to do a little better on the pricing, but I haven't priced suspension in the last couple of years.

Fork springs and new shocks are mandatory, really, with any old bike.

You may have to experiment a bit with fork oil and preload spacers, but the bike will be utterly transformed.

Exhibit A:
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

That's good news then. I don't mind paying a touch more to companies like Kirk or Bikebandit. Cut-rate part sites are usually cheaper for a reason. Like a guy operating out of his moms basement or something.

Anyway, I haven't been in my front forks in about a year, but if I remember correctly the fork springs sit right on top and are pretty easy to change out and don't require seal removal, right?

Comment

I got mine off bike bandit (progressive brand ) and the springs were 68.50 (both ) and the shocks were 240 i believe.

i found bike bandit to have the best overall price for both springs and shocks.

I'm still waiting to get my bike on the road, but i cant wait to try them out!!

Comment

Personally.........
          I've used Progressive for years.
          never had an issue with either front or rears.

Depending on your size and riding style, I use 20 weight oil in the front and no air.
          The rear shocks are with the "special" heavier springs.
          I'm around 250 lbs and ride 2 up alot.

$330 for both is a decent deal.
          What model for the rear?
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I just did the shocks and am in the process of doing the fork springs. The shocks made a nice difference. No more bouncing over bumps and less sea-sawing when I apply gas or brake. I pulled the front springs today. The difference in spring thickness between new and stock is huge. The new springs are much beefier and wound denser. Can't wait to finish the job and get her on the road.

Comment

Progressive

I have progressive fork springs and heavy duty rear dual spring shocks. I am a 300 pound rider who takes the wife out alot. I set the damper stiff on the front and the rear second from highest setting and I'm riding smooth and confortable. Great investment. Got the rear shocks off fleabay cheap from a store liquidation sale and the front springs from Mawonline. By far the cheapest and smartest upgrade you can make.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Changing the springs is easy. Change the fork oil at the same time. I'd also recommend changing the fork seals while you have the forks off the bike.

If you can pull the old seals out with a metal pick (you can get a set of picks and hooks at Sears for $7), then you don't need to disassemble the forks, which is a big win. I'd recommend only using Suzuki fork seals.

You will need a fork seal driver or a long piece of PVC with inside diameter just a bit larger than the inner fork tube and smaller than the outer fork tube. Drive the new seal in using the old one on top of it.

Your suspension will be much improved...

Comment

Hi. I have a set of perfect new-in-the-box Progessive Suspension rear shock springs, black, 95/140lbs. PS part number is 03-1367B. This spring is correct for your 850G. PS sells the springs and shocks separately - I have the springs only. If you want them, I'll ship them for $40 USD. This spring rate best suits a rider under 200lbs, and occasional carry of luggage and passengers: PS sells a heavier rate spring, too, if you exceed 200lbs, etc.

I did put PS rear shocks and fork springs on my '81 GS1100E. Although the ride is much more comfortable, the bike still exhibits the handling problems you describe. It's really sensitive to grooves, too. I've checked the usual suspect causes to no avail. I think the problem may be the tires the original owner chose as replacements. I'm trying to wear them out! Good luck.

Comment

If you want to kick it up another notch you can add Race Tech cartridge fork emulators and Ikon rear shocks. I added these this year and it made a huge difference. The Progressive shocks are very good but lack damping adjustment. Since I ride under greatly varying weight loads (one-up, two-up, no bags, loaded saddlebags and tank bag) I wanted the adjustability.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by dietcokeking
                      I did put PS rear shocks and fork springs on my '81 GS1100E. Although the ride is much more comfortable, the bike still exhibits the handling problems you describe. It's really sensitive to grooves, too. I've checked the usual suspect causes to no avail. I think the problem may be the tires the original owner chose as replacements. I'm trying to wear them out! Good luck.
                      I should have added that the best thing I did to stabilize the wandering was to put on a handlebar-mounted windshield. There's no doubt that keeping the wind from pushing on me (particularly my arms) makes for straighter tracking.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                        If you want to kick it up another notch you can add Race Tech cartridge fork emulators and Ikon rear shocks. I added these this year and it made a huge difference. The Progressive shocks are very good but lack damping adjustment. Since I ride under greatly varying weight loads (one-up, two-up, no bags, loaded saddlebags and tank bag) I wanted the adjustability.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        If you don't mind, what'd that all cost, Joe?

My car will be paid off shortly, and there aren't any new bikes that appeal to me, and maybe it'd be worthwhile to invest in some suspension bling for the old warhorse instead of a newer bike, and my 7 year old Progressive shocks are still working fine but I'd sure love some adjustability, and I just love committing unnatural acts of cornering on my GS850G, and, and, and... and dangit, you've got me thinking.

There are actually several companies that make REALLY nice and expensive shocks. I've heard that the IKONs are premium hardware for a more reasonable sum. And the cartridge emulators...yum. If I could add some sort of preload adjuster to the forks (will the 1150 piece fit?), I'd be all set.

Also, who else makes fork springs? Are there any better than Progressive? Can you order different spring rates?
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                          If you don't mind, what'd that all cost, Joe?

My car will be paid off shortly, and there aren't any new bikes that appeal to me, and maybe it'd be worthwhile to invest in some suspension bling for the old warhorse instead of a newer bike, and my 7 year old Progressive shocks are still working fine but I'd sure love some adjustability, and I just love committing unnatural acts of cornering on my GS850G, and, and, and... and dangit, you've got me thinking.

There are actually several companies that make REALLY nice and expensive shocks. I've heard that the IKONs are premium hardware for a more reasonable sum. And the cartridge emulators...yum. If I could add some sort of preload adjuster to the forks (will the 1150 piece fit?), I'd be all set.

Also, who else makes fork springs? Are there any better than Progressive? Can you order different spring rates?
                          The Race Tech Cartridge Emulators run about $160. They don't list the GS850 but if your forks are 36mm the FEGV-S3301 should work. Be aware that Race Tech's website is incorrect for the part number for an '82 GS1100E. the part number on the site is FEGV-S3801 which are for 41mm forks.

The IKON shocks were $353 when Ryan and I ordered two pairs. We saved a few bucks on shipping (from Australia) by ordering two pairs. I think the price for one set was about $380. Their customer service was unbeatable. They will do custom work, within limits, for no charge. For instance, Ryan and I both wanted 1" longer than stock. They did this for no charge. We got different spring rates, no extra charge. The standard shocks had chrome bodies, we wanted black. They did black powdercoating on the springs and shock bodies, no extra charge.

The results were impressive. I already had Progressive springs in the forks. The cartridge emulators made as much difference, if not more, than swapping the stock springs for Progressives. The Ikon shocks are unbelievable, like riding on air. The added length quickened the steering up noticeably as well.

Rage Tech also makes fork springs which are straight-rate rather than progressive. They claim this is what you want with a well-sorted fork. I stuck with the Progressives so I can't comment on their springs.

I don't know about an 1150 preload adjuster but if your forks are 36mm the 1100 adjusters will probably fit.

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Today was my first full day of riding with both the progressive shocks (412 with heavy duty spring) and the progressive fork springs. I just want to report that I am really happy with the results.

The installation of both the shocks and the fork spring was very simple. If you can change a spark plug, you can do this. Huge difference in the bike's stability over bumps. No more dive when grabbing the brake.

I left the original fork oil in there when I did the springs. I didn't even take the forks off the bike. I just popped off the cap and removed the retaining ring. The original spring slid right out and the new spring went in. On my bike I had to add a some 3/8" washers and a 1 inch (1/2" PVC) spacer to preload the spring a little. No air. I have a couple of quarts of w20 oil to replace the fork oil but I can't say that I need to do it. The bike feels real good the way it is.

I'm a heavy rider at 240 lbs. With the stock springs, I was clearly past the design limits. I strongly recommend this if you are a big rider or do alot of 2-up riding.

Comment

Working...
                            X