1981 gs 850 engine life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs 850 engine life?

With good care, how long (roughly) will a 1981 gs 850 engine, tranny, clutch last? I know there are no guarentees but how long have you seen them to last? (miles of course) before major rebuilds arfe necessary?

I've got nearly 37K miles on my '82, and everything is original and still running like new. :-D

Comment

I bought mine last august w/ 21k. I've rebuilt the engine (a lot of oil leaks), replaced the clutch, regulator and stator, fork seals, and a bunch of wiring. But to her credit, I know that the previous owner rarely rode her and before my rescue spent two years idle in a garage with no cover. I would expect one with more frequent use and upkeep to last much longer without the work that I have put in. I've put about 4k on since all the work, and she purrs.

Comment

There are Folks Here Reporting 80 to 100 Thousand Miles Before Any Major Engine Work Was needed. dpep comes to mind. I think Regular Use AND Maintenance Makes these Bikes Happiest!
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

The 850 doesn't seem to wear out its bores and pistons as quickly as its bigger brothers. With maintenance and regular riding, an 850 will easily cover 100,000+ miles with no major work.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
            The 850 doesn't seem to wear out its bores and pistons as quickly as its bigger brothers. With maintenance and regular riding, an 850 will easily cover 100,000+ miles with no major work.
            You lucky bastages with your bulletproof 850's. My 81 1100 sat in snowbanks for years and went maybe 15000 miles without any sort of oil change. It's got about 45k on it and is finally getting some engine work but probably could have gone another 20k or more!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X