Re-assembling front axle on 850 GL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-assembling front axle on 850 GL.

OK, I have had the front end apart to change a few things and polish some others, now I am having trouble getting the axle back together in the right sequence.

The axle goes in from left to right. The things it has to go through include:
    a washer with a hole big enough for the axle
    a washer with a hole big enough for the THREADS, but not the rest of the axle
    speedo drive
    left fork tube
    right fork tube
    wheel
    spacer with a large flange (I know this one goes on the right side of the wheel)
    spacer with a smaller flange (I know this one goes in the right fork tube, but does the flange go inside or outside the fork?)

Now...exactly what is the sequence? I followed what appears to be the correct sequence shown in the Clymer manual and the diagram on BikeBandit, but the right side caliper does not have enough room between the fork and the disk. Apparently, the wheel needs to shift to the left just a bit, I am just not sure how.

Here is what I have:
    left fork tube
    washer (large hole)
    speedo drive
    wheel
    spacer (large flange toward wheel)
    right fork tube, with spacer (small flange outside right fork tube)
    washer (small hole)
    nut

If I move the washer (large hole) to the outside of the left fork, the speedo drive has to rotate so the cable points straight down. Is this right? I would also have to flip the spacer in the right fork tube to have the flange inside the fork to take up the room that the washer on the left side vacated. That would move the wheel over, but it does not match the picures.

thanks

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

I tried writing, but screw it. Heres a link to a wicked diagram:

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

just choose our model, and you can see how it goes. dont worry about the stuff in the wheel of course.

Comment

That is pretty much the same diagram as in the Clymer manual and Bike Bandit.

I guess I am just going to have to experiment a bit until things fall into place.

sigpic
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

are you missing any of the pieces?

The big washer goes onto the axle before you slip it into the fork hole, and then comes the speedo, then the wheel, then the larger flanged spacer (big flat side on the wheel bearing), and then the smaller flanged spacer should fit into the fork-leg hole,with the wide end facing the inside of the wheel. then the fork leg, and then the small spacer, and the nut. make sure you use a cotter pin.

that should do it . didnt come to my fingers this easily before.

Comment

That is pretty much what I ended up doing. I moved the first washer to the OUTSIDE of the fork leg and turned the spacer that lives in the right fork leg around to put the flange on the INSIDE of the fork.

Snugged everything down and eyeballed the clearances from the disks to the sides of the calipers. Everything looks pretty close to equal, so that is how I am going to leave it.

Thanks for the input.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
          X