Simple Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Question

Ok, have an 80 Gs750E and have a little Q. what are the black rubber things between the fins on the engine? some of them are missing, and I am thinking that something being in the fins would do more harm than good, so I was just gonna throw them all away. I have never seen this on an engine before. was this something the bike was shipped with 26 years ago that they forgot to remove? Please help solve this mystery!
    Thanks,
    J.C.

They are factory, and should stay. Someone else in the know can chime in hear, but from my knowledge, they serve two purposes. Being between the fins at the outer weakest edge's, they give the fins more strength from damage when all are cushion together, also reducing vibration and wind noise. Second, and more important they provide some wind turbulence, and allow air to be deflected to the interior toward the cylinder, allowing improved cooling. This is especially important on the rear fins, though not having them would probably be negligable on most bikes. Never heard of a bike burning up from lack of fin cushions.

ghwrenchit
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2006, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Leave them... In my opinion, their primary purpose is to strengthen the fins.
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

There was story on here a while back about someone who took all of them off his 450, and then went for a ride.

He claimed that his bike overheated to the point of shutting down. When he replaced them, he said he never had a problem again.

Forgive me as I may have mixed up some of the facts of this story.

Comment

They're vibration dampers. They're not broke and the dont need "fixing", leave them alone. :-)

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guess I'll leave them in as ugly as they are. As far as structural strength goes, I think if I go down hard enough to damage the fins, I think that will be the least of my problems! Guess I should go to the bike yard and replace the ones that are gone too :-D . Thanks again guys.
            J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              They're vibration dampers. They're not broke and the dont need "fixing", leave them alone. :-)

Earl

Agreed. I highly doubt the rubber dampers have anything to do with added cooling. I do know for a fact they absorb harmonic vibration, so as to not stress crack the cyl. cooling fins. Vibration of the fins also causes excessive noise. I put 4 new ones in my 1100 (one was missing, the others were loose), I had to literally BEAT those new rubbers in with a hammer (plastic of course).

Comment

see, every little thing on a G.S. is important !!!...b.b.

Comment

If your in a pinch and want to be creative, I've replaces these with high temp silicone fuel line cut to size in the past. Never ended up on fire:twisted: Can even get it in cool colors!!! if so desired.

GH

Comment

Well, I guess I will have to find some new ones then, they are all loose and can be removed with just my fingers, and most of the ones on the right side are missing. Guess thats what happens to rubber after 26 years of being outside!

Comment

I have also heard that they help to dispense the heat as well as strengthen the fins. I am not sure if it is true but I would leave them.

David
                      1980 GS750E
                      1968 YR2

Comment

I checked a Suzuki parts site. They are listed as "Rubber Cushions" on the parts diagram.

GH

Comment

I don't have any on my 1000G and would like to put them back on but I don't know where to put them, I when I reworked the uperend it had some but they were all loose and falling off.

Comment

Working...
                          X