Narrowing swingarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narrowing swingarm

I need to narrow the the 1100 Katana swingarm I got so it will fit in my GS400 frame. I like the method done here: (#3)

my question, is how did he make this tool?

what is that little cutting head?

Wish I had answers for your questions on HOW to do it.

My question to you would be WHY to do it? Seems like an awful lot of work to fit the Katana arm in the 400. Hopefully you don't then expect the 400 to handle like a Katana.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

be warned...it seems like 400's are a rarity...i know of only 10...keep it stock...fix it up!

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234
        be warned...it seems like 400's are a rarity...i know of only 10...keep it stock...fix it up!
        I've seen a bunch of them. Plus, I don't really have to modify much to fit the swingarm, virtually everything I"m doing will be reversable. Also, the GS already handles better than a Katana, save for the awful tire choices available

Comment

The cutter shown was custom made.
          Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
            The cutter shown was custom made.
            Dink
            yes, but out of what?

Although, I think I got an idea of how to do it... Do you think a router will mill aluminum?

Comment

Is it a 400 or a 450? 400X or 400XB?

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234
                Is it a 400 or a 450? 400X or 400XB?
                its a 400XB... originally it had the front/rear drum

Comment

I would love to see how you converted the front wheel to disc...if you could do a write up that would be sweet as I would like to do it sometime...

Comment

My advice is to go to a pedal bike shop and ask them if they have a head tube reamer. A shop that deals with high quality road bikes is most likely to have one. Then show them what you have and what needs to be done. I'll bet the cutter itself on the tool that guy made is at least $70, if not $170.

The real issue is how are you going to cut the races for the swingarm bearing?
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                      The real issue is how are you going to cut the races for the swingarm bearing?
                      it looks like they're drilled straight all the way across. All I should have to do is press the bearings further into the swingarm. Obviously I"ll be replacing them, and I'll need to cut down that spacer tube in the middle too.

Head tube reamer you say?

Comment

Working...
                      X