Valve Adjustment = new screw gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment = new screw gaskets?

My clymer's manual mentioned this... the 4 phillips head screws on the cylinder head cover have these little washer like gaskets... Clymer's said that these little gaskets need to be replaced each time they are removed. Has anyone actually done this every x miles when this adjustment is performed??

Nope, I've never done it. It's like the recommendation to replace the crushable metal washers on your spark plugs (if you've unscrewed the plugs and are putting them back): great in theory, but in the real world no one bothers.

If a little oil ends up weeping from around the screw heads, just use a smidgeon of silicone gasket goop. Should be fine after that.

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
      My clymer's manual mentioned this... the 4 phillips head screws on the cylinder head cover have these little washer like gaskets... Clymer's said that these little gaskets need to be replaced each time they are removed. Has anyone actually done this every x miles when this adjustment is performed??
      I've had those 4 screws in and out about 5 times in the past year. I have never changed the gasket. There really isn't a way for oil to easily leak past those washers considering the way those screws mount.

Comment

Thanks folks! That's why I love it here

Comment

Working...
        X