Steering wobbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wobbles

Okay heres the deal, I have an 83 gs750 es now in somewhat great condition but here's the problem... Whe I ride on the freeway It tends to get a bit shaky, it isnt violent or anything but it still scares the heck out of me on a windy day.. Im almost 100 percent sure that it is just the bike in general because it doesnt really seem like this shouldnt be happening just something I am uncomfortable with... So now I want a smoother ride so could I just put a steering damper on there and all problems dissapear, or is there something I don't understand? If I can, do they even make one for my bike or can I just put one on from an early model gixxer? Thanks, Jason...

Well,
    There are different way's a bike can shake and wobble AND at different speed's. Your post is a little short on info, but, It could be,
    Wheels out of balance
    Swingarm bearing's worn out
    wheel's not aligned
    Oil level in front forks not the same
    Steering head bearing's worn out OR not adjusted right.
    Brake rotor bent
    If front forks have air damping, pressure not the same in both forks.
    Tire not seated in rim properly.
    Tire pressure not right
    Any one or more of these things could cause instability, also, if the bike has ever been in a crash, a bent frame could also cause instability. You should check all this stuff as well as check to make sure your front fork tubes are not bent.
    Keith

Comment

Honestly, it really isnt instability at all, it is just hard for me to keep her on the road when the road pattern changes or I get hit by wind on the freeway, it isnt all that bad either I am just wondering if a steering damper will make it more of a smooth ride... For example I rode my friends cbr600 f41 crotch rocket the other day and litterally could take my hands off of the bars at 80 miles an hour and the bike would keep a perfect line no movement at all, where as I could do that with mine and immediatley have to grab the bars again because they start moving to one side or the other.... That is why I posted that I didnt really think that there was anything wrong with my bike, I just figured hey its from the 80s and technology was a bit experimental then..

Comment

I would check your steering head nut. It is most likely loose. I had the same problem on my 1150. I can now take my hands off the bars at any speed and she runs straight as an arrow.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I, like renobruce stated for his bike, can also take my hands off the bars at any speed on both bikes, and they track like an arrow. These bikes may be old but they are very stable tracking machines on all but maybe the most tightest of high speed cornering situations. Steering head bearing's and swingarm is what I would look at first.
          Keith

Comment

My '83 GS750ES had the same problem. It was caused by worn steering head bearings. They had a slight "catch" you could feel at center when you moved the bars from lock to lock. It couldn't be detected until the fork tubes were removed. After replacing the bearings the problem was gone. It came back shortly thereafter. Took a look and found a leaking fork tube. Bought a new seal and found that the recent replacement was installed upside down. Put the new seal in the right way leveled off the tubes and now shes smooth as silk.

This could be your problem also, but then again it could be anything Keith Winter listed. LOL

Comment

Also look at yourt tires and the road type

if you are running a straight grooved tire it will track in the rain grooves of the road.. ( mine has several times).. and check the stem bearing tightness mine was also loose by quite a bit...

Joe

Comment

Working...
              X