Petcock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Question

My 1980 Gs 1000 With 35,000 Miles On It Has Had A Problem For Awhile Now.after 15 Miles It Starts Acting Like It Is Getting No Gas.i Sit For A Moment, Then Start Off Again.i Have Already Had Many Answers Here About The Possible Venting Of The Gas Cap Problem. I Decided The Inline Conshaped Fuel Filter Might Be The Problem So Yesterday I Took It Off.now The Bike Wont Start,acts Like It Is Getting No Gas.i Used 1/4 Inch Od Tubing To Connect The Rubber Fuel Line To The Carbs To The One Coming From The Tank.what Goes Wrong With A Petcock That Night Cause This.i Am Going To Take It Off Tomorrow And Dissasemble It To See If Something Is Clogged.any Input Here Is Appreciated.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

The first thing to do is find out if you have gas flowing through it or not.
    disconnect the fuel and vacuum line from the petcock. Iinstall a short piece of tube to the fuel and vacuum nipple on the petcock. Put the fuel tube into a cup. With the petcock in the run position, suck on the vacuum tube. Gas should flow into the cup in a steady, full stream. If not, then its likely the screen inside the gas tank is clogged. You have to remove the petcock to clean that screen.

Earl

Originally posted by ron bayless
    My 1980 Gs 1000 With 35,000 Miles On It Has Had A Problem For Awhile Now.after 15 Miles It Starts Acting Like It Is Getting No Gas.i Sit For A Moment, Then Start Off Again.i Have Already Had Many Answers Here About The Possible Venting Of The Gas Cap Problem. I Decided The Inline Conshaped Fuel Filter Might Be The Problem So Yesterday I Took It Off.now The Bike Wont Start,acts Like It Is Getting No Gas.i Used 1/4 Inch Od Tubing To Connect The Rubber Fuel Line To The Carbs To The One Coming From The Tank.what Goes Wrong With A Petcock That Night Cause This.i Am Going To Take It Off Tomorrow And Dissasemble It To See If Something Is Clogged.any Input Here Is Appreciated.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Wow! Thanks For The Answer.appreciate It!
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Use 1/4" for the vacuum line. The fuel line needs larger 5/16 size

Comment

Thanks For The Dimensions.i Imagine The Diameter Makes All The Difference In Flow And Overall Performance.

Comment

Ron, If there is the slightest hint of gas coming from the vacuum line, the petcock diaphram is leaking, causing reduced fuel flow. If this is the case, you may also notice that the spark plug in whatever cylinder has the vacuum line attached at the intake is running black/rich.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by ghwrenchit
              Ron, If there is the slightest hint of gas coming from the vacuum line, the petcock diaphram is leaking, causing reduced fuel flow. If this is the case, you may also notice that the spark plug in whatever cylinder has the vacuum line attached at the intake is running black/rich.

Greg
              And you might wait till after this test to fire up that long awaited Opus X, or Macanudo. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                And you might wait till after this test to fire up that long awaited Opus X, or Macanudo. :shock:
                Yes, mouthwash may be in order ... unless of course you already use List@rine. Just give the better half a kiss, she'll know you've been working on the bike! :-D

GH

Comment

you guys are helpful and funny.i guess i am prettu dumb.the petcock has a larger bore rubber tubing conncected to the fuel tank where the fuel gauge apparatus is.i guess this is the fuel line.on the other side ot the petcock is a smaller diameter 1/4 inch bore tubing that runs down anc conects to the larger bore tubing again in the center of the back of the 4 carb bank of carburetors.i took the petcock off the bike.i saw the spring and rubber diaphragm and saw nothing wrong and was going to try the mouth to the line trick.the smaller line was what i was going to suck on.anyhow, the little spring popped out of my hand and i could never find it so of course the gl is the only bike that does not have a repair kit at the dealer,andersens or old bike barn so now i am waiting for a whole new petcock for $84.25.replacing with a repair kit sure would have been easier and cheaper.i hope when i get the new petcock on it actually fixes the problem.i swear, i spend more time working on the bike than riding it.are they all this way?

Comment

i swear, i spend more time working on the bike than riding it.are they all this way?
                    Careful Ron! You're starting to sound like a BSA owner. :shock: [-X

Comment

i swear, i spend more time working on the bike than riding it.are they all this way?
                      Ron,
                      Its all part of the love... I often just take a day or two away from the bike when its giving me trouble. Getin' her fixed and that first ride again makes it all worth while. Back to your petcock, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the hardware and find some small/lightweight spring say 3/4" long to get you by.... needs to be light pressure though. As far as lines go, sounds like you have a fuel gauge.

Not sure if your setup is the same way, but my 750 has three lines.

1.) Fuel line to center of carbs to petcock... 3/8" or so. This is the main fuel supply.

2.) Vacuum line from #2 intake to petcock just above fuel line. This is the "mouth sucking line".

3.) Vent/drain line from fuel sending unit cover to below/behind swing arm. I think they did this incase the fuel sending unit happened to leak, not allowing fuel to drip on the hot motor.

Greg

Comment

the petcock has a larger bore rubber tubing conncected to the fuel tank where the fuel gauge apparatus is.i guess this is the fuel line.on the other side ot the petcock is a smaller diameter 1/4 inch bore tubing that runs down anc conects to the larger bore tubing again in the center of the back of the 4 carb bank of carburetors.
                        :shock: Your vent/drain line is connected to your petcock???

Comment

i figure i should be glad a bike runs as good as a gs does after all these years andthe enigines are so bulletproof.its the little things bolted to them that break down,but 26 years for a part to work is a testimonial in itself.

Comment

Your vent/drain line is connected to your petcock???
                            i have a short tubing,about 3 inches long,on one side of the petcock.it is about 5/16 in diameter.it seems the exact length to connect to a metal tubing coming from the tank itself and this is also where the mechanism that powers the fuel gauge.the other side, the right side, if you were standing on the left side of the bike, the petcock side,is aobut 1/4 inch in diameter and runs down to a bigger 5/16 rubber line that is connected to the middle of the bank of carburetors.does the short line go to nothing?if so why is the metal tubing from the tank itself there?

Comment

.does the short line go to nothing?if so why is the metal tubing from the tank itself there?

Someone with your model bike needs to chime in here as I don't understand your setup. The hose coming out the fuel gauge sending unit should be rubber (not metal) and run to underside of bike where if any overflow occurs it drips on the ground not on your engine. I don't believe there should be anything attached to this hose.

Comment

Working...
                              X