Petcock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ron bayless
    Your vent/drain line is connected to your petcock???
    i have a short tubing,about 3 inches long,on one side of the petcock.it is about 5/16 in diameter.it seems the exact length to connect to a metal tubing coming from the tank itself and this is also where the mechanism that powers the fuel gauge.the other side, the right side, if you were standing on the left side of the bike, the petcock side,is aobut 1/4 inch in diameter and runs down to a bigger 5/16 rubber line that is connected to the middle of the bank of carburetors.does the short line go to nothing?if so why is the metal tubing from the tank itself there?
    With a vacuum style petcock (which will have two metal tubes coming out of it for attachment of hoses) and a fuel gauge, here's what you should have:

The two petcock connections (on the lower left side of the bike with the tank installed): one thicker fuel supply line connected to the carbs, and one thinner vacuum line which connects to a metal tube down by the number 2 carb (counting from the left side of the bike).

On the bottom of the right side of the tank (with the tank installed), in towards the frame, is the fuel-gauge sending unit. It has a half-round "cup" on the side of the tank, to collect fuel if its gasket were to fail (so no dumping gas on the engine and making a fire). There is a normally empty vent line that feeds from the bottom of the half-round cup down to where the centerstand is (your battery vent hose also goes down this way if you don't have a sealed battery).

[If you connect the hose from the fuel gauge sending unit to the petcock, then there is no vacuum to open the petcock, and your bike will run only on "PRI" (prime), and not on "RUN" (or "ON") or "RES" (reserve).]

Comment

yeeha! I dont know if this information wil solve the problem, but thelast post here from kalessin seems to contain all the answers given here in one statement.this is the best forum.every time my bike is not runing it is always from some simple screw up on my part.Like the time i stripped one of the studs on the oil filter cover,like the time i forgot which wire conected to what when i took the rear fender off to paint it,etc,etc.I need someone to followme around and smack my hands when i am about to do something to my bike.I love the old thing,gives me a rush when i crack the throttle open.Old hot rodder at heart, and i am 56 years old.You never outgrow your need for speed!
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

yeeha!,gives me a rush when i crack the throttle open.
        Ron,

Now don't start messing with the brakes on us OK?!:-D :-D :-D

Just kidding of course... I think we all learn something new along the way with everything, It's all part of the DO IT YOURSELF world, so don't trade in your skills.

Greg

Comment

U Got It Wrenchit! I Replaced My Front Brake Pads On My L Model And Soon Afterwards I Heard Metal To Metal Noises.i Thought How Can Those Pads Be Worn Out Already.i Had Turned One Of Them Wrong Side Out.made Som Grooves In My Rotor A Little Bit.i Admit It,working On Cars I Can Do,bikes I Am Dangerous.
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

U Got It Wrenchit! I Replaced My Front Brake Pads On My L Model And Soon Afterwards I Heard Metal To Metal Noises.i Thought How Can Those Pads Be Worn Out Already.i Had Turned One Of Them Wrong Side Out.made Som Grooves In My Rotor A Little Bit.i Admit It,working On Cars I Can Do,bikes I Am Dangerous.
            :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comment

Working...
            X