General charging system question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General charging system question.

I've heard that early GS's (mines a 78 550E) had frequent charging system failures. I've got over 45K on mine and all is well so far. (knock, knock)

What seems to work best for charging system longevity?

Headlight on or off ? Why?

Thanks,
    KK

If you have the original wiring on the stator and charging system, then 1 statoroutput wire is a dedicated lighting circuit that is inactive when the headlight is turned off. In this condition the R/R is only handling the output from two phases of the stator and there is no overcharge problem due to rectified stator output. If you have your stator hardwired with all three phases directly to the R/R, then you must always have the headlight on. In this instance, if the headlight is turned off, consumption is reduced and that same reduction in consumption must now be converted to heat through the cooling fins on the R/R. You will toast a R/R quickly if electrical consumption is not balanced with production.

You will get the best charging system longevity when you are consuming about 90% or more of what is being produced. The closer to equilibrium, the better off you are.

Earl

Originally posted by The Kelzer
    I've heard that early GS's (mines a 78 550E) had frequent charging system failures. I've got over 45K on mine and all is well so far. (knock, knock)

What seems to work best for charging system longevity?

Headlight on or off ? Why?

Thanks,
    KK
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Best bet for a GS is a Honda Voltage Regulator from a CM400, CB450 or CX500, or other late 70's early 80's Honda. About 10 bucks on ebay. They have Shin Den Gen number SH-232 or SH-532 on them. It uses a sense wire to read the line voltage and adjusts accordingly. I have used one for a while and it works great. Mine varies the voltage from 13.9 to 14.6 or so as your cruising along. It also kicks up at 1200 rpm.

Search for Honda Regulator Mod and you'll see how it is done. Search for that same topic with my name and you'll see my photo installation on my 650
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks Earlfor. I appreciate the help.

KK

Comment

Working...
        X