How long to set valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to set valves?

Clymer says 24 hours, Suzuki says to wait until the bike is cold. How about 12 hours, is that okay? I developed a really nasty ticking under hard acceleration so I have to fix it ASAP but having the bike down for 24 hours is unnacceptable. 8)

Thanks in advance, Steve

Three or four hours should be plenty, especially in cooler weather. Pull the valve cover and if the valve components feel cool to the touch that's good enough.

Comment

Hi Billy,
      You were right. 3 hours was more than enough time with a 10C ambient temperature. 6 of my 8 valves were out of adjustment so I'm hoping I've solved my clanging.

Steve

Comment

Glad you took care of the valve adjustment but if it was only 'ticking nastily' under hard acceleration, I doubt it was the valves. They don't know or care whether the engine is accelerating or decelerating; the clearance remains the same. I think you have some detonation going on. Try a high octane gas and see what happens.

Comment

McConnell:
          I have since found out that I have a loose header on my left cylinder. One of the bolts broke off so what I'm hearing is the exhaust blowing around the header when I'm running the bike hard.

I am still surprised that so many valves could go amuck after 7000 km though. That isn't too long.

Steve

Comment

Bolt broke off? I'd rather have the detonation. Hopefully the bolt is accessible and you can get a drill to it or enough of the bolt is left to get vice-grips on. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X