Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WaterBuffalo Ignition Question

I live in Ottawa, Canada.
    The local dealer has a WaterBuffalo (I don't know the year) sitting over to one side of the shop.
    He is restoring it for a serious rider and collectior of bikes...

The ignition on the bike has been modified (?) and he is not sure where to go from here.

Does anyone know how similar the WaterBuffalo ignition is to the GS ignition?
    Firing order, interchangeable parts?

Thanks to all, as usual.

I rode at GT550, which I think had similar ignition to the GT750 water buffalo. It had breaker points. Breaker points were only used in the first years of GS motorcycles. So I'm guessing that there are substantial differences between the GT750 and later GSes. The early GSes might be similar to the GTs.

Tom
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I don't think any ignition parts are interchangable between GT and GS bikes. For one thing, the GT 550 and 750's were three cylinder engines and thus had to have three sets of points on the breaker plate and three coils. Plus there was some sort of nylon gear involved in the breaker cam to give it the proper reduction (because the engines were two strokes). This gear was easy to break if one wasn't careful with a wrench. I do think Dyna makes an electronic ignition kit for the GT bikes though.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies.
        I'll pass this stuff on and other new information as it arrives.

Comment

GT/GS Ignition

Water Buff had points (3 sets) as stated. There was a brand of point-free ignition that was quite good,...Newtronic (Nutronic) made in UK. Just went belly up but was bought up & theoretically new owner has committed to improving quality & getting line going again. Right now only dealers'distributors who had some in stock might carry. Get hooked up on the SMOKERIDERs chat group. One of the members, Shayne in Australia, can possibly help you & supply info,

DH

Comment

Try this forum

A whole bunch of GT triple guys will be glad to help you
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big thanks to all...

A big thanks to all who posted info for me.
              I will pass along everything to the mechanic and he can take it from here.

As always, when in doubt, go to the GS Resources!!

So...
              I'm having a little quiet dinner for 12.
              I'm serving a roast of beef and I'm wondering what wines should be served....

Well, you seem to know everything else, damn it!!

Comment

I'm a little late but.... when in doubt go with the "RED". And something on the sweeter side such as " White Zinfandel". WTH... why they call it white is beyond me..... must have named it after drinking for awhile. :-D :-D I like this wine for get togethers because even folks whom don't typically consume very often can mix this with alittle 7-@P and it makes a great low "a-hole content" (that's alcohol....) drink.

Party on!!!!!! with a desiginated MC driver of course!!!! No alcohol related GS forum member fatalities need to end up here.... Please????

ghwrenchit

Comment

Big roast beef dinner for 12 hearty guests? Portuguese reds would go very well, big strong ones. And a bottle or two of California Zinfandel (not "White Zin", blecchh..) Wrap up with some vintage port, fine bourbons and scotches after the meal. Then spend a few hours relaxing. YUM!

Comment

any and lots... then a sleep over for 12 is required.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
                      Big roast beef dinner for 12 hearty guests? Portuguese reds would go very well, big strong ones. And a bottle or two of California Zinfandel (not "White Zin", blecchh..) Wrap up with some vintage port, fine bourbons and scotches after the meal. Then spend a few hours relaxing. YUM!
                      Sorry,

Guess'in you wouldn't like may choice of Castr@l either!!:-D:-D Better take the keys at this event!!! :-D

ghwrenchit

Comment

I knew I could count on you folks!!
                        I'm thinking of having a few bottles of each so I'll report back what went over best....
                        Cheers.
                        Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X