Starter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter question

Ok I have a 1982 gs1100gk, After the starter died I got a differant on and the bike turned over great a few times. Now I can hear the starter spin but it does not turn the bike over. I put the bike in gear and rocked the bike back and forth and then pulled the clutch in she fired right up? I shut it off and its back to the same spinning but not turning the motor stuff. I've been told my starter clutch is bad. are these repairable or do I need a new or good used one? How hard are they to change? Do you think this is whats wrong with the bike or should I check something else.

Let me know
    Pan

its most likely the starter clutch, mine cracked on my bike and the starter would just spin and not turn the motor. its very easy to change, i bought another one off ebay. take the left sidecover off and expect a little oil to come out, theres one bolt holding on the starter clutch, take that out and get a slap hammer to take the starter clutch off, its pressed on but comes off fairly easy. than take a look to see if its cracked or broken and go from there.

Comment

Tarbash

Thanks for you quick reply, I recently had that cover off to put a new stator on. Its a shame I have to pull it again since I hand made that gaskit out of roll gaskit and to my amazement it did not leak a drop of oil. I saw some "complete assemblies" on ebay that looked like i would have to dig deep into the motor to fix the problem and to be honest I was not no where near prepaired to do that. One more thing could ya tell me what other models will work? Im still not to well versed in the interchangability of this bike.

Much Respect
      Pan

Comment

pulled the cover....

Ok I pulled the cover and the gear looks good ( i have not pulled the assembly yet) I called suzuki just for kicks and giggles about pricing parts. Their service guy was real nice and said his guess would be one of two things. either the 3 springs are bad? Which are a whopping 63 cents each or it could be the push roller which is a whole $4.55 Parts sound cheap enough. Are these parts hard to install? I dont want to pay suzuki $60+ an hour to do it thats for sure!! I could not find a complete assembly on ebay so rebuilding the one I have may be my only option. What does everyone think?

My Respects
        Pan

Comment

Should be real easy. On my GS750 you simply remove the starter clutch shim (three bolts) and they are readily accessible. Takes a little maneuvering to get everything in right, but not much of a hassle. Took me about two minutes to put them all back in after they fell out during a starter clutch replacement. After I put them back in I noticed the Clymer manual has a tip for getting them in. Don't remember how they did it, but as I said it was no big deal anyway. I imagine yours would be similar.

-Tony

Comment

Tony

I have the CLYMER for my bike which covers gs850-1100 79-84 so Im gonna see if they dont list how to do this all. I didnt recall seeing it last time I looked through the book. Im thinking I should just buy these springs and push roller and replace both since they are cheap enough. Thank you for your imput and saving me some money and hopefully a little time. Any other info anyone has to offer id gladly take.

My Respect 2 you all
            Pan

Comment

A couple other questions

Ok I have visualy inspected the edge of the clutch set and I see there are two bumps in the smooth piece in front of the gear? Are these supposed to be there? Question 2 is how do i keep the motor from turning over while I remove the bolt? a screwdriver through one of the holes and wedge it against the block? The book says put a block of wood over the cylinder I dont want to remove the head!!! Any tips would be great

Always
              Pan

Comment

As far as question #1 goes, I'm not sure exactly which part you are describing. The starter clutch is mounted directly in front of the gear on my GS750. Take a look at http://www.crotchrocket.com/fiche_select.asp and find the schematic for your starter clutch to see if it helps.

As far as removing the bolt, I usually use an air operated impact driver or a relatively long socket wrench that I can whack pretty good with a hammer until the bolt comes loose. Usually a few good hits with the hammer will do it.

Regarding the Clymer procedure for installing the springs, plungers and rollers in the clutch, here is what they suggest doing for my bike.

a. Place assembly on a clean surface and install spring and plunger (push piece). Hold plunger in position with a small drill bit inserted through hole in assembly body.

b. Slide roller in assembly and gently withdraw drill bit so spring tension holds roller in place. Repeat for other rollers.

As I mentioned earlier, I put mine back in before finding this procedure and it still only took me a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadJosh74
                  Question 2 is how do i keep the motor from turning over while I remove the bolt? Any tips would be great

Always
                  Pan
                  How about putting it in gear? I'm thinking the higher you go (3, 4, 5?) the harder it should be for the motor to turn over while you're cranking on it...

Good Luck!

Comment

Nuts loose now what. (more help needed)

I got the nut loose Now I need to use some sort of a puller to get that magnent off without breaking it. I see the book says let suzuki do this if ya dont have the proper puller. (I doubt there gonna let me borrow one and my guess is they are not cheap) Im guessing the puller they use goes in them shallow round holes? Anyway what kinda puller did you use Tony? An after thought is how do I get that pressed back on? Im afraid of breaking that magnent I hear they are real fragile. Im shade tree I guess Im shying away from the block of wood and hammer aproach. I can not afford to screw this up and I can not afford shop rates to have them do it. Help!!!

Comment

You need the special tool to remove the rotor, Re installes with the mounting bolt

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                        You need the special tool to remove the rotor, Reinstalls with the mounting bolt
                        There you go spoiling his fun, Lynn!8O;-)

The more important question is ... can this tool be made from a standard gear puller? Is it an expensive part if purchased from Suzuki? Who invented Softsoap and why?

(I'm guessing he really only care about the first two questions)

Regards,

Comment

I have a regular puller

Im gonna see if I cant get one of them to grip the back. The worst that will happen is it'll slip off. I will call suzuki for price on the puller for ****s and giggles just for the shock I get on how pricey everything is

My Respects
                          Pan

Comment

suzuki offers the puller for $70.00...

any place else got em cheaper? if not Im gonna try my puller. they also said a week to get one!!!!

Always
                            pan

Comment

You can get cheaper versions of the pulling tool online. Go to Dennis Kirk and type puller or flywheel puller in the search field. The puller for my bike is basically a hardened 14mm x 1.5 bolt that threads into the rotor and pushes against the crankshaft. The Clymer manual says to use a slide hammer. Big joke! By the way some use 14mm x 1.5 pullers and some apparently use 16mm x 1.5 bolts. You'll need to know which yours uses. The inexpensive pullers are made by Dennis Stubblefield. I paid around 8 bucks for mine. I have gone to the local NAPA store and purchased a regular bolt of the correct diameter and thread pitch that is long enough to accomplish the task because time was a factor. It did work but the pulling process pretty much destroys the bolt where it makes contact with the crankshaft (the "puller" bolt, not the crankshaft itself!).
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2006, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X