No announcement yet.

Starter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, if you damage the rotor, it may be hard to find another good one. I think this may be a case where you really want to use the right tool for the job...

Going by the parts diagrams at http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm, I think you need model #MP-29, $38, which has the external threads around the hub of the rotor/flywheel (35mm external puller with 1.5mm right-hand thread pitch). Since they have a complete line, you should be able to give them a call and make sure it's the right one.

(There are two models that mention GS1100's, the other one is #MP-14 (which is a puller for an internally threaded hub, 14mm x 1.5mm RH thread), but it says it's for the GS1100/GS1150, which implies the 16-valve GSX model engine rather than the 8-valve GS engine).

I just fed "suzuki 35mm flywheel puller" into google. Here's what popped up:

$36 at http://www.repairmanual.com/items/17/10472

$32 at https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index...ategory=engine
    (scroll down or search in the page to part number 35-0062)

(the internet is really nice sometimes...)
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2006, 12:39 PM.

Comment

GOOD Deal

Thanx for all the help. I will be ordering one on Monday. Along with the roller, cap and spring kit for the starter clutch. I will keep you all posted. Once again thank you all.

My Respect
      Pan

Comment

You can do it without the puller. I've done the starter clutch on my 850 and thou' this way:

Loosen the rotor bolt by about two turns. Wedge two flat blade screwdrivers 180 degrees apart between the rotor and the gear behind it. Wedge them good and tight. Two or three sharp taps squarely against the rotor bolt and it will pop. Unscrew the rotor bolt completely and slip the whole assembly off the crank. Be certain to hit the bolt absolutely squarely and don't use brute force or you could damage the crankshaft. Those 'bumps' on the starter clutch housing are the result of the springs and rollers taking a hammering. You may get away with just new springs and rollers, but if the boss in the centre of the gear is anything but perfectly round, it'll mean a complete starter cutch. Hope this helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
          Wedge two flat blade screwdrivers 180 degrees apart between the rotor and the gear behind it. Wedge them good and tight.

Sorry, I was clumsy in my explanation: The starter clutch is behind the rotor. The screwdrivers are wedged between the starter clutch and the gear behind it. This will work for you.

Comment

Guy

After finding the proper tool for under $30 dollars I dont see any reason to use the screwdriver method. That $30 bucks is worth piece of mind if ya know what I mean. Thanx anyway

My Respect
            Pan

Comment

Suit yourself.

Comment

Just ordered puller

Well I just ordered the puller, From the looks of the unit from the outside I doubt Im gonna be able to rebuild this one, However I will not know that for sure untill I get my puller. Which my guess wont come untill probally tuesday.

If it ain one thing its another
                Pan

Comment

Parts on the way...

A good used starter came today and the new starter clutch is supposed to arrive at the dealership for me to pickup on wed. I ordered everything from the gear up (minus the flywheel) I also though it would be a smart mover to replace them 2 gear bearings (after all they are 24 years old!!) If everything goes allright I should have the bike running by thursday at the latest and by friday or sat have the rear fender painted. I will probally hold off on fixing the rust and dents on the tank untill a rainy day when I cant ride. I will keep you all posted on my progress thank you all

Much Respect
                  Pan

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadJosh74
                    A good used starter came today and the new starter clutch is supposed to arrive at the dealership for me to pickup on wed. I ordered everything from the gear up (minus the flywheel) I also though it would be a smart mover to replace them 2 gear bearings (after all they are 24 years old!!) If everything goes allright I should have the bike running by thursday at the latest and by friday or sat have the rear fender painted. I will probally hold off on fixing the rust and dents on the tank untill a rainy day when I cant ride. I will keep you all posted on my progress thank you all

Much Respect
                    Pan
                    Good job on getting the old GS back on the road.

Comment

Working...
                    X