Frying fuses with the turn of a key!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frying fuses with the turn of a key!

I tried to jump start my bike today with a battery charger that has a jumpstart option on it and I blew a fuse. So I replaced the fuse and turned the key on and the fuse instantly popped! So which electrical component did I fry?? I did hook the positive and negative directly to their corresponding battery terminals. I think that the jump start was 50A. I hope its not the rectifier/regulator!! Please help me!!!

thanks--Joe

umm...i think you are in trouble...."battery charger with jumpstart option" sounds like a bad idea....should have jumped it off a car battery while the car was turned off....

Comment

fried

Try disconnecting every thing from the fuse and check each component one at a time

Comment

Bummer

As "the Lord" said, I think that you've got to be really careful jumping one of these old bikes. I think Clymer (or somewhere) also recommends that if you do it, you do it with the auto engine off.8-[

Your damage may not be as bad as you fear...let us know![-o<

P.S. I just noticed...this is post 999 for me!! (Sorry it was about such a sad subject.)
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-18-2006, 06:51 PM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

by trying each electrical component one at a time will the turning of the key show me any sign of life if these devices aren't hooked up? Will my headlight still come on if my regulator is disconnected...electrical systems are my weak point!:shock:

--Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jrciamacco
            by trying each electrical component one at a time will the turning of the key show me any sign of life if these devices aren't hooked up? Will my headlight still come on if my regulator is disconnected...electrical systems are my weak point!:shock:

--Joe
            Check out the stator papers...even I (a mechanical/electrical moron in most cases) understand them

Comment

Well, after viewing a schematic it seems that either the battery is flowing mega juice now and blowing the fuse...(unlikely)....or...the R/R is sending juice in such large amounts to the battery without the motor running that it pops my fuse...I don't understand!!!!!](*,)

Comment

the second one...its a REGULATOR/rectifier...that means its not regulating the juice...time to get a new one

Comment

all these guys might be right, bu one more thing...i had an 83 yamaha venture that did the same thing.i fried 14 fuses before i checked the coils.somehow one of them had a hole in it and was causing super amounts of electricity to go through the system.the big main fuse is the only one that it didnt fry.i could have used jb weld over the hole(probably caused by a drillbit) but instead i change out the whole eighty dollar coil and solved the problem.i hope ur problem is simple and cheap.
                  future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I unplugged the R/R completely from the loop and when I turned the ignition key...POP! The fuse melted instantly. I think that maybe that jumper box completely mutilated my battery. Disconecting the R/R should of isolated it to the battery at least in the charging circuitry. I will pick up a new battery in the morning and see if that fixes it.

Comment

Batteries will only supply as much current as the load on them requires. (OHM's Law) I dont think the battery is your problem. If you are blowing 50amp fuses it sounds like you may have a direct short to ground or something pretty close. I would take a meter to ground and then check it against all the fuse. WITH NO POWER SUPPLIED. See if you cant see some continuity. That might more easily point you in the right direction of the large current draw.

Hope that helps

Lucidus

AAS/EET

Comment

When I was blowing fuses with a turn of the key, it was the regulator/rectifier. Take a look to see if it has a big black burned spot on it. Hard to say what you may have fried with 50 amps.

Comment

I am going to to all the diagnostic tests tomorrow and see what's up with it. My meter doesn't have a diode testing option so I am gonna try and swap out the R/R out of my father in laws 82 GS 450 T. I don't know if it will work. I am gonna get a new battery too just in case. I have been studying the wiring diagram in the back of the clymer manual for hours and still can't figure out what is going on!

Comment

Working...
                          X