bad day for the 1150es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad day for the 1150es

well the 84 1150es had to be trailered home today , it all started out that the bike was not holding a charge or not charging, then today out for a ride i had to push start it to get it goin and well then i got about 2 miles out of a town, she lost a lot of power and my tach gage stoped working so i had to get a jump start then took it to a shop to get the battery charged for awhile, i figured that was it but it still was lacking power so i limped it over to one of my friends house. once there i was just curious so i check the heat on the pipes and the two inside pipes were cold and 2 outside pipes were hot, so i figure one of the coils went bad, so i decided to limp it the rest of the way home and about 4 miles from home, it lost all power like it fried the other coil, but honestly im not really sure if its the coils or not just figured it was because of the 2 inside pipes were cold like it was not firing on those, dont know why she completly died the rest of the way?.. any help or suggestions would be greatly accepted. Thanks Yall...[-o<

I reckon you've got a battery that's so DEAD that the coils aren't getting any juice, so don't blame them!

If your battery won't hold its charge, chuck it and get a newie. My bet is you'll find that's the end of your problems.

Comment

Hopefully you did not have happen what happened to me last summer. Had to jump start the 850, and not long after that, IT was running on 2 cylinders! The process of troubleshooting was methodical, and I eventually discovered that the igniter was fried. I did a search in the archives here and found that one of the frequent victims of jump-starting a GS is the igniter.

Bottom line...got a new igniter, it runs just fine, now. In fact, it is running so well that my wife (by the way, it's really HER bike) wanted to have it painted. We should be getting the painted parts back any day now, and will post the results in the gallery.

If you feel that you lost your igniter, let me know. I came across one in my search for one for my (HER) 850 that does not fit it, so I don't need it. Suzuki part number is 32900-49410. NipponDenso part number is 131100-3180.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

after having the battery charged it had a good charge for a while and it still was doin the same just running on the 2 outside cylinders i dont know if maybe running on just one coil for like 25 mins. made the other coil over load and fry also.

Comment

Sounds like one of your external coils crapped the bed. one coil fires #1, and #4, and the other coil fires Cyl #2 and #3. It also might be a bad pickup sensor.

Comment

Working...
          X