Headlight Hi / Lo beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Hi / Lo beam

I'm trying to get the adjustment on my GS850L headlight , but somethings not right. If I adjust the low beam correctly, then the hi beam shines straight ahead without hitting the road, and if i adjust it so that the hi beam is correct, then the lo beam shines only about 15-20 in front of me. Is there an adjustment that'll change one setting without touching the other, or is the bulb itself just screwed up possibly?

No, there not an independent adjustment for hi/lo beam. It is one bulb with two elements in a reflector.

Earl

Originally posted by matterri
    I'm trying to get the adjustment on my GS850L headlight , but somethings not right. If I adjust the low beam correctly, then the hi beam shines straight ahead without hitting the road, and if i adjust it so that the hi beam is correct, then the lo beam shines only about 15-20 in front of me. Is there an adjustment that'll change one setting without touching the other, or is the bulb itself just screwed up possibly?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

stock headlights are not that great from our time unfortunately. There are upgrade mods to do, if you like.

I think the sylvania silver-star or something like that....

Comment

I've noticed this effect with my 1100GL headlight. I think it may just be that the L model headlight reflector sucks.

Time to put on one of those big ol' E-model headlights...

Comment

worx 4 meh

...set the high beam and dont ever use low beam...

...low beam on my old thing sux at any setting and the high beam isnt strong enough blind anything...

once upon a time it was law not use high beam in suburban areas but now they allow it figuring at least peeps can see what they hit at night a lil clearer lol...

Comment

The correct procedure for adjusting a motorcycle headlight:

Find a level surface with 25 ft. from the headlight to a light colored wall behind it. A garage door or garage wall will usually work. While your are sitting on the bike, have someone measure the distance from the center of the headlight to the ground. You can measure it yourself if you can do so without falling off the bike.

Make a vertical line 2" below the headlight center height on the wall using masking tape. While 25 ft. away and sitting on the bike, turn on the low beam. The vertical cutoff point of the low beam should be adjusted to the tape at 2" below the headlight center height at 25 ft..

There is no adjustment necessary for the high beam, as is designed to work at the right height with a properly adjusted low beam. Make sure the light is horizontally adjusted straight ahead.

See How To Aim Your Headlight.

Comment

California

It is stated in the California Vehicle Code that it is legal to use your high beams at all times on a motorcycle....It's a good thing..the low beam is worthless (and the high beam isn't much better).
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

High beam all the time may be OK in daytime but at night you'e gonna **** off the cagers. It looks like the above adjustment article is on the money and doable by all. My bike has an unbelievably great Hella motorcycle headlight reflector/lens assembly in it. There is a perfect cutoff line on the lane in front of the bike that does not even shine in the oncoming lane. On high beam it covers both lanes in an incredibly bright light. Probably no longer made in todays market, modern motorcycle headlights are miles if not mere decades ahead of late 70's tech (mines a '78 GS750E). I really feel blessed to have this totally cool unit on my bike. Someone set this baby up with all the goodies; Lockhart cooler, Hella headlight, Telefix fork brace, Street Shox rears, all the early 80's tech...

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                  It is stated in the California Vehicle Code that it is legal to use your high beams at all times on a motorcycle....It's a good thing..the low beam is worthless (and the high beam isn't much better).
                  Too bad the lights on your bike are so bad. Maybe you should fix them.

Mine work great, and are extremely bright both low and high beam. With a relay operated Osram Silverstar bulb, it lights up the night.

Comment

Right

Yeah, you're right...I should do something about my light. I guess I haven't made it a priority because I rarely ride at night. It sounds like getting one of the Sylvania bulbs would be a good start.....8-[
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                      Yeah, you're right...I should do something about my light. I guess I haven't made it a priority because I rarely ride at night. It sounds like getting one of the Sylvania bulbs would be a good start.....8-[
                      I've said this so many times I should make a copy and paste statement, but the blue Syvania Silverstar bulbs are not the same as the clear Osram Silverstar bulbs. The Sylvania is not as bright, and it doesn't last as long.

See What's the Scoop on "Extra White" Blue Bulbs?" for some expert advice.

Either the Osram Silverstar or the Philips Vison Plus 50 bulbs are excellent choices, and both have outstanding performance. You can get them at California Sport Touring Inc..

Comment

Working...
                      X