Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whurring sound from front, wheel bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whurring sound from front, wheel bearing?

Sometimes it starts as soon as the tire moves and goes away after 30mph or so. Sometimes its intermeniant and hear the sound sporadically at all speeds. Does this sound like a wheel bearing?

It could be your speedometer drive unit.

Comment

I'd also think its the speedo sound. if its your wheel bearing, and its shot, whn you get up to high speed (130+kmph) then you will start to get some pretty bad shakes. trust me....8-[

Comment

I'm thinking speed unit is definately the culprit. I've noticed oil on my speed cable right where it connects to the front wheel. I've cleaned it several times over the last couple of days and after every ride it's oily again. Today I notoiced the speedo started bouncing around badly.

First, is this going to be expensive?

Second, can I rebuild/reoil the unit?

Third, how the hell do I remove it?

Fourth, continuing to drive hurt anything?

Comment

Removing it isn't difficult. It comes off when you pull the front wheel. Once it's off, you can see if it turns freely and if it needs lube.

Have you checked your cable? Try disconnecting it at both ends and pulling out the inner cable. Clean and lube it thoroughly and see if that doesn't cure your problem.

If you do need a drive unit, check eBay and M/C salvage yards. I got one for an old Kawasaki at a local yard for 10 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by ruddy
            Removing it isn't difficult. It comes off when you pull the front wheel. Once it's off, you can see if it turns freely and if it needs lube.

Have you checked your cable? Try disconnecting it at both ends and pulling out the inner cable. Clean and lube it thoroughly and see if that doesn't cure your problem.

If you do need a drive unit, check eBay and M/C salvage yards. I got one for an old Kawasaki at a local yard for 10 bucks.

I can spin the assembly by hand with the front tire on. Also when driving home today the noise got louder so I put my hand on the speedo and it was vibrating badly, the needle starting bouncing from 20-140 then it broke off! Now the speedo needle (what's left) doesn't move at all, but the noise is gone.

Comment

The good news: your original problem corrected itself. The bad news: you now have a new problem. Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

If you want to give fixing your speedometer a shot, seach the technical and tips & tricks forums for past threads on how to open it up. If not, keep an eye on eBay for one. There's a NOS 140 MPH unit for "L" models listed right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by ruddy
                The good news: your original problem corrected itself. The bad news: you now have a new problem. Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

If you want to give fixing your speedometer a shot, seach the technical and tips & tricks forums for past threads on how to open it up. If not, keep an eye on eBay for one. There's a NOS 140 MPH unit for "L" models listed right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...QQcmdZViewItem
                The odometer doesn't even turn now. Like I said I can spin the speed sensor
                to the left and right. I don't remember being able to do this before. That speedo says it's for a later model L than my 79

Comment

Working...
                X