Fuel issue. Petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel issue. Petcock?

Today, when I started my bike to go to work, she didn't want to stay running. If I kept her choked she would idle, but as soon as I would give it any throttle it would die. After a few times of starting and trying to give it throttle, it just wouldn't fire at all. I then turned the petcock to prime and she fired right up and ran beautifully. At work, I switched it back to the run position. When I started it up when I headed home, she ran beautifully, like nothing was wrong.
    This has happened just like this once before about 1 month ago. What would cause this. Do I need to rebuild my petcock, or will cleaning it suffice? Is it even the petcock at fault? If anyone has experienced this before, please let me know. Thanks.

bumping out of obscurity.

Comment

I havent had your experience, nor have heard of similar, but your description sure makes it sound like a problem with the petcock sticking if you exercize the petcock lever and symptoms go away.

There are petcock rebuild kits, that have the diaphram and other small parts. Oh, wait, petcocks for differernt years and models are different. Not sure about the petcock for the L model.
      Last edited by Redman; 05-20-2006, 10:13 AM. Reason: oppss

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

thanks

Comment

I Am Having The Same Problem With My Petcock On My 1000 L Also.i Had To Order A New Petcock At $84.25.no Rebuild Kits Are Available For The L Model For Some Reason.look Under My Thread,ron Bayless,about Petcock Problems With My L Model, Should Be Easy To Find Since Postings Were Done Yesterday.there Are Many Suggestions How To Tell If The Petcock Is At Fault And What To Do About It.i Decided Instead Of Trying To Fix It I Would Replace Mine Since The Other One Was 26 Years Old.pricey Though.actually It Figures About 3 Dollars A Year If You Look At It That Way.
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

What do you guys think is the best way to go on this- rebuild kit or just spend more on a replacement petcock? There's a continual eBay seller in Canada ("Sirius") that has petcock kits for old GS's for around $26.00. Should work fine if carefully installed.

I'm wondering where people are getting the complete petcocks from- Suzuki dealer or Old Bike Barn, or?

Comment

Forgot to mention, the GS I'm working on is a 1978 GS1000E model with 6800 original miles. Has the usual fuel issues just from age...

Comment

I bought the repair kit from Sirius for my 82 off of ebay. It is actually a kit from K&L which you could probably get elsewhere. Trouble is, it has been only 2 months since I installed it and it was leaking again. I took it apart yesterday and some cheap copper looking tab had broken off of the diaphragm and was probably holding it open. If I remember right, it was pretty different in design than the original. Luckily I had installed a small shutoff valve after the petcock, so my engine oil wouldn't get full of gas. I may just buy a whole original petcock from Suzuki.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X