I want shorter forks on my 1980 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want shorter forks on my 1980 GS550L

I just found this site today and love it…and this is my first question…so I hope that I have put it in the right area. If not, I am sorry!
    I have a 1980 GS550L that is pretty much stock except for the Progressive Suspensions 418 on the back, a Kerker 4-1 pipe and some carb work. What I am looking for is a way to lower the first end of the fork so that it sits a little flatter like the E.
    This would be the first step on the road to make the bike a little more like a café racer…not 100% like one, but a little closer…something along the lines of what isaac posted here
    http://ratbike.org/docs/585.php.
    The things that I would like to do are (probably listed in order):
    Lower the front forks
    Replace the handlebars
    Add a Viper Fairing or something similar
    Redo or replace the seat
    I live in Minnesota and there are two good salvage yards not too far from where I live…so if moding my existing forks is not an option then I could see about a swap but would ask for some guidance as to what to swap them out with.
    Guys (and gals) thank you in advance for your comments! Please let me know if you have any other questions I can answer to make this easier.
    Brent

If you change the orientation of your fork length to your rear shock length, funny things can happen with the handling so do this stuff in little bits... in other words, don't drop the front end 5" at first. BTW: The 418s are real fine shocks.

To lower your front end loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts while somebody hangs onto the triples. You can then just slide down the triples and retighten. Keep watch for pinched cables and such and like I said, only do a little at once and check handling.

Comment

on a related note, where in Minnesota are you? I'm in Rochester...

Comment

Wiredgeorge-thanks for the advice! Believe me, my plan IS to do this whole think in little stages. I will lower the front a little first and see what it does and go from there. Right now she is sitting in the garage waiting for a new drive sprrocket nut and lock washer. Not sure how in the HE doubble-hockey sticks those came off, but they did and broke my chain when the sprocket went sailing. Luck for me I was not riding too fast at the time!

Spots25-I live in Rogers...it is a northwest suburb of Minneapolis.

Comment

[quote=wiredgeorge]If you change the orientation of your fork length to your rear shock length, funny things can happen with the handling so do this stuff in little bits... in other words, don't drop the front end 5" at first. BTW: The 418s are real fine shocks.

I dropped the front as far as I could (hits the handlebars) and I think I NOW understand the appeal of clip-ons!

As for the handling, the couple of miles I put on for the test drive went REAL well...I think I could drop the front a little bit more and get exactly what I am looking for...but the next step is to find the clip-ons.

Wiredgeorge, thanks for your help!!!

Comment

Working...
          X