I don't understand this R/R I found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nerobro
    What you need is a r/r from a bike with a three phase alternator. the CX500 is my favorite, as they are cheap and common. The other way to look at it is that you're looking for a "five or six wire" regulator rectifier. Five wire r/r's have 3 wires for the phases of the stator, one for ground, and one for positive. Six wire r/r's have another "sence" wire. Generally speaking it's okey to tie the sence wire to the positve feed. That's all the five wire r/r's do anyway.
    Practically all alternators are three phase. Single phase alternators are rare. Not all R/R's from three phase alternators will work. They have to be R/R's from permanent magnet alternators for the replacement to work. It isn't always a five or six wire R/R that will work, although this is most common. Some eight wire Honda R/R's with duplicate red and green wires will work just fine.

This poor guy at Which Honda Regulator/Rectifier to use on my '81 GS450? bought two eight wire Honda R/R's in a row on eBay that were the field coil type that wouldn't work on his Suzuki.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
      Maybe what you are meaning to say is that all Suzukis use permanent magnet alternators, not field coil (automotive type) alternators. All types of alternators use stators. All modern vehicles use alternators, but motorcycles and small engines usually use the simpler but less efficient permanent magnet alternator. Field coil alternators are increasingly used in bigger bikes.
      NO I mean that ALL Suzuki's use a DC generator and a rectifier/regulator. NO ALTENATORS!!!
      Dink
      Suzuki's own Tech people told me so!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
        The R/R for the bikes that you mentioned is shown correctly at https://www.electrosport.com/issues....50F_94_97.html. The stators used by the RR58 are the three phase permanent magnet type. This RR58 R/R is also fitted to the Honda FJS600 Silverwing (Scooter). This means that the RR58 used by "big scooters" might be adapted if it is wired properly. If you can get one at a bargain price and there is no problem in fitting it, it may be worth the effort.
        YES! That's exacly the part! \\/ Thanks a lot!

I went to the UK electrex too and I found the rr11 for 65 euros (plus tax & shippping), what is incredible to me is that it looks like they don't ship to Italy!! Allovertheworld else, but not in here! I'll call them to understand this fact.

How do you recognise the different configuration?
        I think it would be very usefull if there was a way to understand from the internet if a motorbike uses permanent magnet or field coil.
        The electrx spec.s looks usefull, but I can't notice any difference from the r/r and stator for my bike and the Goldwing one, that should be of the other kind.
        I understood tha "wrong" regulator should have some DC specification somewhere, and that field coil stator have brushes and .... coils, but I think they are the in othert side of the pert it's sold at electrex.

Comment

Dink, All suzuki's use alternators. They're permanant magnet type, but they do generate AC. They are by defnition, alternators. :-)

And like I said. CX500 ones work. CB500 ones work. CB650 ones will work. ;-)
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by trepperuna
            YES! That's exacly the part! \\/ Thanks a lot!

I went to the UK electrex too and I found the rr11 for 65 euros (plus tax & shippping), what is incredible to me is that it looks like they don't ship to Italy!! Allovertheworld else, but not in here! I'll call them to understand this fact.

How do you recognise the different configuration?
            I think it would be very usefull if there was a way to understand from the internet if a motorbike uses permanent magnet or field coil.
            The electrx spec.s looks usefull, but I can't notice any difference from the r/r and stator for my bike and the Goldwing one, that should be of the other kind.
            I understood tha "wrong" regulator should have some DC specification somewhere, and that field coil stator have brushes and .... coils, but I think they are the in othert side of the pert it's sold at electrex.

You're welcome.

Hopefully, they just forgot to include Italy on their shipment list. It doesn't make any sense otherwise.:?

This is how you can recognize the different configurations of permanent magnet and field coil:

1. For a given R/R on the Electrex/Electrosport web site, find the stator(s) that work with it.

2. Find the stator on Electrosport Technical Specifications or download the Electrosport Catalog and confirm that the stator is the three phase permanent magnet type.

3. If the stator is the permanent magnet type, then you know that the associated R/R is a PM type.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
              Dink, All suzuki's use alternators. They're permanant magnet type, but they do generate AC. They are by defnition, alternators. :-)

And like I said. CX500 ones work. CB500 ones work. CB650 ones will work. ;-)
              CB500 R/R's from 1973-77 will not work. They are the field coil type. CB500 R/R's from 1994-97 will work. It is necessary to have the model year to know whether an R/R will work.

CB650 R/R's will not work. They are the field coil type. The GL,NT, and NX650 use permanent magnet stators so their R/R's may be adapted.

Comment

Thanks again Boondocks. That was the secret then! :-D
                I followed your instruction to figure out the way to understand if an ebay r/r can fit. Since in the technical sheet electrex doesn't actualy put all his models, I tried to speculate on the way they mark their stators (in the site, not in the catalog).
                In a full empirical and inaccurate way, I figured out that they mark it like this:

esg0xx to esg1xx is --> PM (ok)
                esg2xx to esg4xx is --> coil (no good)
                esg5xx to esg7xx is --> PM (ok)
                esg8xx --> coil (no good)
                esg9xx --> PM (? not sure)

Also looking at the actual pictures of the stator it appears that the PM ones have a plastic insulator all around the coils, that is missing in the other kind.
                At last, the installation instruction of the PM stators always refer to the same 3.phase.stators.pdf file

Now: this all thing could be usefull, but something doesn't work right. The cx500 has a esg470 stator that appear to be one with electromagnetic coils, but many people use it with no problems!!
                The goldwing uses a esg060 that is a Permanent magnet one, but somewhere in the forum I think I read that it's R/R doesn't fit
                There must be something I've lost ...

Comment

Originally posted by trepperuna
                  Thanks again Boondocks. That was the secret then! :-D
                  I followed your instruction to figure out the way to understand if an ebay r/r can fit. Since in the technical sheet electrex doesn't actualy put all his models, I tried to speculate on the way they mark their stators (in the site, not in the catalog).
                  In a full empirical and inaccurate way, I figured out that they mark it like this:

esg0xx to esg1xx is --> PM (ok)
                  esg2xx to esg4xx is --> coil (no good)
                  esg5xx to esg7xx is --> PM (ok)
                  esg8xx --> coil (no good)
                  esg9xx --> PM (? not sure)

Also looking at the actual pictures of the stator it appears that the PM ones have a plastic insulator all around the coils, that is missing in the other kind.
                  At last, the installation instruction of the PM stators always refer to the same 3.phase.stators.pdf file

Now: this all thing could be usefull, but something doesn't work right. The cx500 has a esg470 stator that appear to be one with electromagnetic coils, but many people use it with no problems!!
                  The goldwing uses a esg060 that is a Permanent magnet one, but somewhere in the forum I think I read that it's R/R doesn't fit
                  There must be something I've lost ...
                  You're welcome again.

The Elextrex/Electrosport sites appear to have a number of errors. I think that the ESG470 listed for the CX500 is a misprint, and it should be an ESG070. If you look at the VT500FT ASCOT, it uses the same ESR160 RR but is used with an ESG070 permanent magnet stator. This is confirmed if you download the ESR 160 Installation Instructions, which show it to definitely be a permanent magnet R/R.

Concerning the Goldwing, I don't know what to tell you unless you can point out the post about the R/R not fitting. I'm not sure what that means. It might mean that the mounting holes don't line up. The R/R might still work OK but the mounting would have to be altered if it was to be used. Then too, forum comments and opinions are frequently not accurate. The ESR290 R/R used with the ESG060 stator on the Goldwing has a connector that might be confusing to someone using Suzuki connectors. The Goldwing wires would have to be cut from the connector and rewired by color code. It looks like this R/R is one with extra duplicated wires, two red and two green, but it should be adaptable.

There are a lot of R/R's that might work, but popular replacements tend to be the ones with familiar wiring and mounting holes that line up.

Comment

You are right. I didn't doublechecked on the site for inconsistency. About the goldwing: I went looking for the post , and there was one where they were talking about a field coil regulator (with white wires back to the rotor) refering to it as a goldwing one, but then someone said it was from another bike. I might have read thet at the beginning with big clouds still in my mind

I'm happy the little scheme I made, makes sense then!
                    For models that are not listed in the electrosport site (the UK one is much poorer of infos!), I found this other one (http://www.bike-parts.fr/identification.html) where a lot of "microfiches" are shown (I don't know the english word for the pictures of the "exploded" inside of motorcicles). It's easy then to check if there is the cilindrical permanent magnet in the generator picture.

Comment

Yes, your i.d. by number scheme seems to work and could be useful if the site part numbers were correct. If you like to use the microfiche for viewing parts, there are a number of sites in the U.S. that have this feature. Since your English is so good (better than a lot of Americans), I have listed a couple in case they are easier to use than the French site.

Alamo Cycle-Plex
                      BikeBandit

I have vacationed in Florence a couple of times, so I was very close to Pisa. I've never been there since going through Pisa on the train on the way to Nice doesn't count. Florence is a cultural treasure, one of the great cities of the world and one of my favorites. Italy is a great country and I love travelling there.

Comment

@Boondocks:
                        Those links look usefull, since the french one isn't so complete.
                        Now it's much easier to me to find an actual working part... maybe you could write a short guide to put as a sticky with all your knowledges, so it would't be such an assle to search all over the site (with all the non-working links around). I thhink everyone would appreciate.

Thanks for the compliments on my english, but I actually have to do a lot of "Babylon-ing" while writing. I've been stayng in the US too long ago, and it'a getting harder...
                        Anyway next time you really should stop in pisa. It only takes a few hours to see the interesting stuff in here (like the plaza with the leaning tower)... I know hotel keepers will get really mad for this tip!:roll:

Comment

Working...
                        X