New Dyna-S fails on 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Dyna-S fails on 1150

I just put new Dyna coils on yesturday, thinking my electrical problems are over, when not 3 miles from home, the same sputtering occurs.

Last week Dynatek determined my 1-4 coil was bad and replaced it for $35. All good.

Now thinking my Dyna-S I just bought in February of this year, is the least of my problems, I find out it is indeed THE PROBLEM!

I remove the new Dyna-S and put the old ignitor and pickup plate and trigger, what do you know it runs perfectly.

Rather frustrating when I'm trying to improve my bike with supposedly more sound components and this happens.

I'm sure the part will be replaced no charge, but having to take it off send it back, wait, put back on and hope that it works seems somewhat unreasonable.

I bought it so I wouldn't have to worry about my ignition going south, but it was the root of a lot of frustration.

I even put stock coils on the bike to see if it would run, it did the same thing, but now I'm thinking they were fine it was 1-4 pickup on the Dyna plate.

I'm not trying to bad mouth Dyna, they're great to work with, but when 2 components fail within weeks of each other it tests your trust.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Feel your pain man. This is where that "if is ain't broke don't fix it" statement comes from. Still it's all subjective to what we do and what we get. Once you get good working components in there you will feel better. Your original idea is one I believe many of us would agree with and have even done to many bikes. Dumb stuff happens to nice people sometimes.

Comment

The bad coil could have caused the ignitor problem. But we will never know for sure

Comment

If the coil damaged the ignitor wouldn't the stock ignitor be toast as well?
        Being modestly electrically uninclined, I replaced the ignitor thinking it was going south.

I suppose my coil was intermittently functioning at the time. When I installed the new Dyna-S it seemed fine for a month or so. Seemed to have a smoother idle.

Then out of the blue it started sputtering. Finally with help from this site, I decided to send the coils in for testing. One was bad so I ordered two new ones.

Put those on with new wires as well and the same symptoms arose. I did not at all suspect the Dyna-S I bought 3 months ago.

I immediately came home after 6 miles or riding and called Dyna. The service tech readily admitted he thought it was one of the triggers, when I described the symptoms. He was right.

I took it up to 125 and sessioned a 2-3-4 gear twisty sectiion and it pulled hard in all gears throughout the entire rev range as I remembered it could.

I was pleased it worked again, but frustrated all my efforts to improve the stock components backfired on me.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Could be a power problem. Ignition switch, kill switch, fuse box problem and/or wiring problem. Intermitten problems are the hard'est to fix, one day it work and the next it doesn't??

I'd run a hotwire down to the dyna ignition and see if the problem goes away. If it does then start checking and cleaning things backwards from the Dyna ignition.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Jake

I already pulled the Dyna off. Back to the stock ignitor/pickup until a new replacement arrives.

The stock set up with new 3 ohm coils is working fine so far.

Comment

When you get it back on double check the clearance between the rotor and pickup's, if it's too great that could cause a mis-fire. I think their little handout talks about it.
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
              X