New wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New wires

My new wires have a little brass fitting that needs to be crimped on the end of the wire where it goes into the coil, how do I attach the inner core of the wire to the brass fitting? There is a little hole in the side of the fitting, do I need to just jam the inner wire in there and force it into the new Dyna coil? Wires came with no construction directions...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Also, the stupid caps the wires came with are too short, so I'm trying to use my stock caps. How can I tell if the caps are connected right? I can't even get my meter to show continutity between one end of the bare wire to the other- before mounting the caps! WTF is going on... They are silicone wires, 8mm.
    Currently bikeless
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      Also, the stupid caps the wires came with are too short, so I'm trying to use my stock caps. How can I tell if the caps are connected right? I can't even get my meter to show continutity between one end of the bare wire to the other- before mounting the caps! WTF is going on... They are silicone wires, 8mm.

Just hold on Geoff.
      When I come over Sunday, I will show you how to put on Dyna coils and new wires8-[
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Sounds like you have some help, but I'll throw in my two cents. After you cut the wire to the right length, remove about 3/8" of the insulation to expose the wire. Put the brass piece on there, crimp it and put the exposed wire through the hole, fold it back toward the wire and solder in place. At least that's what I did....worked great.

Put the boot on first though, makes it a little easier.

Comment

Originally posted by mark
          Sounds like you have some help, but I'll throw in my two cents. After you cut the wire to the right length, remove about 3/8" of the insulation to expose the wire. Put the brass piece on there, crimp it and put the exposed wire through the hole, fold it back toward the wire and solder in place. At least that's what I did....worked great.

That's what I was going to say, but just couldn't put it down to words that well :-D 8-[
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Then cut off the excess? that pokes through the hole? Otherwise it's gonne be a tight fit for the fitting into the coil socket.

Doug, I'd wait, but I already pulled my plug caps off! What if I want to ride tomorrow! I'm impaitent, I know

What is really getting me confused is not being able to test continuity through the wire, even without the caps. If I out the meter on the ohms setting, it shows 12.xx k ohms, but I can't get simple continuity? I'm worried I'm putting the caps on wrong, I just thread the brass point on the cap into the middle of the wire.
            Currently bikeless

Comment

Your supposed to fold it back over the outside of the insulation after you strip it out and slide the fitting over it and then crimp it on. You can slide the tip out through the hole in the process and solder for and extra sure connection but it is not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                Your supposed to fold it back over the outside of the insulation after you strip it out and slide the fitting over it and then crimp it on. You can slide the tip out through the hole in the process and solder for and extra sure connection but it is not needed.
                That's what I was trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by mark

I thought i was the only dummy wo didnt put the boot on first :shock:

Comment

Whew...

Fianlly got that over with at 1:09am. Had to make new mounts for the damn things! Did not fit in the stock locations with the stock hardware becasue the forward coil output was hitting the stock mount...PITA. And it's too late for me fire that damn thing up- hope it's spittin' and fussin' like a dragon tomorrow morning, but who knows...
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

Install was a success! Bike seesm to have an easier time idleing and accelerating. New coils rule!!
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

The ones in my 83 had some custom mounts made as well Jethro, found that out this weekend. Not a straight drop in part but not a big deal either.

Comment

Working...
                        X