Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact Driver too harsh for CV Cap screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact Driver too harsh for CV Cap screws?

What do you guys think? If I attempt to use the impact driver on the CV cap screws, am I gonna break something?

I don't know about the impact driver. When I was doing mine, I just used a small set of vice grips and gripped the side of each screw and turned them to break them loose. Then remove them with a screwdriver. I replaced all the screws with SS allen head hardware during the rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaum
      I don't know about the impact driver. When I was doing mine, I just used a small set of vice grips and gripped the side of each screw and turned them to break them loose. Then remove them with a screwdriver. I replaced all the screws with SS allen head hardware during the rebuild.
      I'm planning the same with the hardware.

For the vicegrips, I tried the same with a pair of pliers, but it's just not workin'. Should I go get some vicegrips instead?

Comment

Mike, If I was you, I wouldn't worry about damaging them at all. If they're a pain to get out, use either the impact wrench or a set of vice grips, whatever works best.

I would replace all those screws with Allen head bolts. It's what I do to every set of carbs, first time I take them off of a bike......mostly because some of them have the screws that are already damaged, or corroded, or have just been there for 20+ years and are a pain in the a$$ to remove.

I've always had luck getting the Allen head bolts in the required sizes at Ace hardware.
        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E
        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Oh, I wasn't worried about damaging the screws. I meant damage to the carb itself. I don't want to crack it or anything.

Comment

If they're in there THAT tight, and you've tried "carefully" with the impact driver to no avail, then try a good set of vice grips. If that don't work, then drill the heads off of the screws.

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Hi,

I also had a hard time removing these screws, basically, you only have 1 chance to remove it, otherwise it starts to strip the phillips head, I used long noses wise grips and was able to remove the tough ones this way ( they are about 6 inches long , genuine wise grips ). Following the ecommendation from someone here, I also removed all teh bracket screws with my impact driver ( a good one.. small hammer with my Snap-on with brand-new bits, worked like a charm ). For each screw I took care to put a piece of soft wood behind, thinking that would absorb some of the impact..

It worked, and when putting them back I found that the best screwdriver was my impact , maybe because of the good grip and inertia ;-)

Comment

Vicegrips worked nicely.

Thanks to all.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                  Vicegrips worked nicely.

Thanks to all.

Mike
                  Also great for removing ingrown toenails!:shock: :-D

Owner of:
                  1982 GS1100E

Comment

Also you wouldn't have damaged the carbs. They are tougher than you think....

Comment

Yeah, but now I got myself a new tool!

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                        Also you wouldn't have damaged the carbs. They are tougher than you think....
                        Tell that to the float pin supports!

But seriously... Vice grips work wonders but I was able to get out a couple that were getting too chewed up by the vice grips by just slotting the head with a hack saw blade and using a regular screwdriver.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic

But seriously... Vice grips work wonders but I was able to get out a couple that were getting too chewed up by the vice grips by just slotting the head with a hack saw blade and using a regular screwdriver.

/\/\ac
                          So far I've gotten the first float pin out with no damage. We'll see if I can keep that record up for the other three.

Tried the hacksaw method with one of the gangplate screws. No dice. Impact driver saved the day even after I hacksawed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic

/\/\ac
                            Well don't use the impact driver there! LOL

The rest of the carbs are pretty tough.....

Comment

I took a Dremel tool and cut straight slots in the screws. The used a 1/2 flat blade with a handle large enough to put some real torque on the buggers. Replaced with SS philips screws that fit US drivers.

Comment

Working...
                              X