Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 good news/bad news

Greetings-

Good news is I benched the motor, and it runs!

Bad news, I cannot run it on carb cleaner.

I'm assuming the jets are gooked after it sat for a few years. Can someone point me to where I can locate a carb kit? Also, I'm putting pods on it, so should I change the jetting?

Please advise-

Thanks-
    Pete

Reuse the jets you have, just soak them in carb cleaner and run a wire through the opening to assure the passages are open. And don't forget the idle, choke, and pilot circuits.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm guessing those circuits are the 3 holes I see in the cast, correct? I opened it all up, and it's gooked like crazy. The diaphrams look solid still, but I don't know whats under them, does it matter?

When pulling the jets, I just need to yank the c-rings down the diaphram, right?

I'd like to be minimal here, as I'm well versed in 'overfixing is bad'.

Appreciate the help.

P

Comment

Would it be chinked if it wasn't gooked?

Comment

Your carbs are simillar to the ones used for the I4's
          check this out http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234
            Would it be chinked if it wasn't gooked?
            ooooh, that was bad

Comment

Thanks sqdancer. This is indeed helpful. There are a few differences that I'd like to justify before I take a dowel and hammer to this, but I think the problem is pretty simple. Looks like the throttle valve slides are stuck down. A purely uneducated guess would indicate that would be a problem :-/

If I punch out the needle, does the entire assembly pop out? Diaphragm and all?

And oh.... CRAP! (Postponed reaction), I didn't have to bastardize my snapring pliers with the grinder to pull that ring to get the valve slide out after all?

I'm still reading through the doc, but those are a couple of my concerns.

Thanks-

Pete

Comment

Ok.. I went through the doc, and found some more gook, which I will clean up as well. Also, the damn cv sliders won't budge! I'm trying to resist taking a sledge to it, but they just won't move. I'm soaking it, and will try again when I get home. I'm pretty sure it just wasn't getting enough air to draw fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by pmilano1
                  Ok.. I went through the doc, and found some more gook, which I will clean up as well. Also, the damn cv sliders won't budge! I'm trying to resist taking a sledge to it, but they just won't move. I'm soaking it, and will try again when I get home. I'm pretty sure it just wasn't getting enough air to draw fuel.
                  You need to pull the carbs 100% apart, pull out all the rubber parts (don't forget the choke plungers) and soak all the metal parts and carb bodies in Berrymans carb dip. Don't put the slides in there, clean them by hand with carb spray and a clean rag. The jets that are gunked up are probably in the float bowls, you'll need to soak them as well. Rinse all the parts after dipping with water, then use compressed air to blow out all the passages. Make sure all passages are totally free. Then bench synch, install, and vaccum synch.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Jethro-

I spent sometime with one of the carbs, and got it functioning smoothly and back together again. Now, the second one was just as successful, with the exception that I shot the needle valve spring across the room (the small one that hangs directly on the needle). Needless to say it's gone. I'm going to head over to the dealer and hopefully he has one in his toolbox. If anyone happens to have one lying around, and a stamp, I'd appreciate the assistance. I'll gladly compensate for the rescue (I don't even know how much a stamp is now.... 23 cents?)

Thanks-

Pete

Comment

Working...
                    X