Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my GS1100L turned into a dog overnight

Hello all!!
    Well I am new here so heres the story.Please bear with me if I ramble.
    Last fall I bought a GS1100L that had sat in a barn for 10 years.
    The millage on it is less that 14,000 miles.I have the paperwork so I believe this to be true.I took the bike home and I took the carbs off and took them to the local Suzuki dealer to get cleaned.I picked up the carbs after the work was done.I noticed that the gas tank was a bit rusty inside however luckily there were no leaks of any kind.I sent the tank to a place to have it repaired.[cleaned] and the place put a coating inside the tank that is clear.The properties are apoxy based and the company gaurenteed the work.I replaced all fluids in the bike and replaced the spark plug,the oil and oil filter.The air filter also.
    OK.So now I have the bike all ready drive to the Suzuki shop so they can balence the carbs and adjust the valves[I figured they should be checked out].I drive the bike 25 miles to the shop and wow its fast and real nice.I am thinking how nice it will be when the carbs are synced and it's tune up...bla bla bla.
    O, and I put a clear inline filter on the gas line going to the tank valve and put a new tank valve on.
    The shop does there work and compliment me on how good these bikes are.
    I get the bike just with a little time to spare before going to work.I drive it home and there is bike is a dog,it purrs perfectly like a kitten when it idles but is doggy while driving.I could not take it back to the dealer then because I would be late for work since my ride went home .This weekend I drove it and it could run 60 mph IF the road had no uphill direction.And the gas milliage is about 20mpg as I have drove it 90 miles this weekend.
    This morning I went to the local store about 3 miles away and the bike would idle great but when you gave it gas to drive itbarely wanted to rev up.I went to the store and in order to have the bike run smotth I have to choke it going home.Any ideas??? [-o<

Back to the dealer immediately! Did you call them right away when you got to work?

Comment

Year?

Take off the in-line filter and clean the petcock screen. What year is it? More then likely you need to rebuild the petcock. Also how are your intake and airbox boots. It is very important to have these sealed.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If it was running well before you took it into the shop, TAKE IT BACK!

Check you fuel screen, make sure you are getting enough gas.

Comment

Working...
        X