carb runs perfect until 5000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb runs perfect until 5000 rpm

1980 GS550T, CV carbs, New Petcock, carbs cleaned 4-5 times, tank cleaned out, I put 102.5 main jets on 2 inner cylinders, I am running 2 pods, K and N specific for my year. Standard pilot jets.
    My problem is that it will only run on prime, once i get it started, which is hard to do, it will idle and run perfect until 5000 rpm, and then it just stops and starts bogging down, like I said if I short shift it and run around town it is perfect until 5000 rpm, I do not have the carb vents hooked up, it seems to run worse with them on. The choke does work. It revs nice in neutral.
    I cheked the plugs and they are all on the tan/lean side, pretty equal on all four cylinders. I have not raised my needles. Is that my next step?
    I have never done that on any bike before. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Stan

Good chance the bike hasn't been jetted right for those pods. But I don't know why the bike only runs on prime, especially when the petcock is new.
    If your petcock is the type with a screwdriver slot adjuster and only run and prime positions, BOTH positions require vacuum to initiate fuel flow, so it shouldn't be a bad/cracked vacuum hose, nor would it be because the vacuum hose has been hooked up to a vent nipple instead of to a vacuum nipple. If either of these common mistakes were happening here, then BOTH run and prime positions should give the same results.
    But if you have a new petcock that requires vacuum when on run, but requires NO vacuum when on prime, and it only runs in the prime position, then you DO have a bad hose or incorrect hook up.
    You have to first be sure you're getting correct fuel flow through the petcock to feed the carbs.
    Have you compared the new petcock to what your model uses? What does it look like? Are you sure it's the correct type? Have you checked/cleaned out the gas cap vent? Very important to flow.
    Your over 5K problem could be a result of the same fuel flow problem. Right now, it sounds like you're not getting enough fuel.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Ok I Re Cleaned My Carbs This Time, Taking Off All The Bowls, Needle Valve And Seats, They Came Out Hard An I Have Alot Of Rust Debris I Put It All Together And The Bike Ran The Best It Did So Far .....around The Block, Reving To 7-9 K, I Idles Fine .......but Gas Poors Out Of The Vents And The Overlow Hole In The Back Of The Carb, On All The Carbs, Those Adj Screws On The Back Of The Carbs Are Turned All The Way In ( If They Ard Adj), I Did Not Change The Float Levels Ever, I Unhooked The Main Gas Line And Ran It Unhooked And Leaked Gas All Over My Driveway... So I M Getti G, Gas Alot Of It Help,!!!! All Other Carb Work Will Be Peanuts After This One....

Comment

Rebuild

Get a K&L rebuild kit for your carbs and replace your float needles and seats. Check your float adjustment when done.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well I Lower All The Float Bowls And Now It Only Leaks From The Right 2 Carbs And It Runs Alot Better. I Guess Those Need New O Rings And Needles/seats On Those Carbs.

Comment

Working...
          X