Holy Cow Batman, My GS goes fast now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Cow Batman, My GS goes fast now!

Thanks for all of the tips and advice that are found on this forum. I was able to shim my needles(put the plastic washer under the c-clip and the metal washer above), and now magically I have POWER in all of my ranges. Now all I have to do is get 3 of my air/mixture screws loose and hopefully get the bike to idle better. Amazing how such little changes can make a BIG difference in performance!

Dan

Screwed?

Fill the holes leading to screws with carb cleaner and let sit overnight and see if this breaks them free.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah, be extremely careful with those guys. Strip them and you're in a world of annoyances

Comment

Did you say the plastic washer goes under the "c" clip? I am putting together my old 1980 gs 750, CV carbs. I bought this set of carbs for it a couple of years ago. I put a rebuild kit in it. Idles file but nothing above 2500rpm.
        so i raised the float level to 20.5 mm (on the gasket) fron 23 mm. (not much help, still will not rev above 2500rpm)

them i raised the needle one notch, and it will rev to 4000rpm.

BUT, i have the plastic washer on top of the "c" clip, and the steel washer below the c clip, then the spring. Have i got this messed up? putting the plastic washer below the "c" clip will be like raising the needles 3 notches.

let me know, what the correct stack up is, dam, that would be good news.

Thanks a bunch

John
        only ding the carbs,

Comment

Synch the carbs, then you'll be impressed...
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I already synced them before. I intend to do it again after I get those mixture screws loose as my idle is my only problem now. And yes I took that plastic washer that is normally on top and swapped it with the metal one on the bottom. Probably a big jump, but I didn't have any washers handy so I did a quick switcheroo to see if it helped. And YES it did. I rode home from work today in 40 degree temps and it started and warmed up quicker and still had gobs of power in all ranges. It was really lean before. I kind of set my floats on the high side of the limit when I put in the K& L kits. It is supposed to be in the high 80's later this week, so I will see if it is too rich for those temps.

Dan

Comment

Suzuki guy,

In stock form, the plastic washer goes OVER the c-clip, with the thin metal washer UNDER the c-clip. Before 1980 or so, the neddles had multiple grooves so you could fine-tune the mixture. EPA regulations prevent the users from playing with them, so there is only one groove now. In order to lift the needle and richen up the mixture to where it runs right, it is possible to swap the two washers. The difference in thickness is about the same as moving the clip 1 to 1 1/2 notches on the adjustable needles. The best part of this is that there are no parts to chase down and buy, they are already there in your carbs.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for smoking tip. When i was putting things together i was looking at the whole carb set up. Even though the performance was improving when i was raising the needle, i had thought when i got to the end of the needle range, that raising the needle was compensating for a poor adjustment somewhere else. Namely float level.

Float level seems to be a whole topic on itself. I dont have a manual for the bike, but looking through the threads and internet, there is alot of variance. measure from the gasket, no gasket. 21mm to 26mm. Or the other stand pipe method. In the end, i have no clue what my carb float level is supposed to be. looking at the "bend-able tang" on the float, it looks to be bent a couple of degrees off being inline with the rest of the metal float piece. (set now at 20 mm with gasket)

If it wasent sunday dinner in a hour, i would be out in the garage flipping the plastic washers and going for a rip. However, i dont think the wife would be too impressed if i suddenly spontaniously combusted at the dinner table due to the gas all over me (we have candles). Will give it a go tomorrow night. Thanks folks

John

Comment

Working...
                X