High RPM Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High RPM Idle

I have a 1981 GS 1100 E and I has a very high idle. The choke is opperational and needs to be pulled in order to start. After it warms up however and the choke is pushed in the idle moves up to around 3500. What could be causeing this and how can it be fixed?

Carbs were serviced about 2 years ago and they do not have many miles on them.

Originally posted by dshroyer
    I have a 1981 GS 1100 E and I has a very high idle. The choke is opperational and needs to be pulled in order to start. After it warms up however and the choke is pushed in the idle moves up to around 3500. What could be causeing this and how can it be fixed?

Carbs were serviced about 2 years ago and they do not have many miles on them.
    There is a gold colored knob underneath your carbs. This is the idle adjustment knob. turn the know counterclockwise to lower your idle.

Comment

If what Clam said doesn't help I would suspect an air leak somewhere between the carbs and the engine.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Road CLam that did the trick. I just ride the thing but is is nice to save some cash for an easy fix like that. I dialed down to about 1500, do you think that is about right for an idle?

Comment

Working...
        X