Originally posted by Hoomgar
      Been There Done That.
      Of course.

What an ass I am.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
        Of course.

What an ass I am.
        Not an ass, Mike, just a complete moron.

Okay, I didn't know what it meant either.
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson
          Not an ass, Mike, just a complete moron.
          As long as I know one way or the other,...

Comment

So here's the question. Coils can test well but then not work at higher rpms, correct?
            Dunno about that, but I've heard of coils that would test out fine cold, but start to behave erratically and fail as they heat up.

Comment

Originally posted by dietcokeking
              I bought it to ride - not to work on. If I need it to go faster, I should've bought a different bike.
              Thats about as well said as anything Ive read here...:mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by morthrane
                Dunno about that, but I've heard of coils that would test out fine cold, but start to behave erratically and fail as they heat up.
                That's what I meant.

Comment

Yes. A faulty coil will do this when it heats up. When the coil heats and expands, the windings separate, which weakens the boost. Could even kill it altogether...

Comment

My comment doesn't play into which one is better than the other. If they are both new, probably very minor difference if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                      One thing I can say is even though your wires are glued in from factory they can still be cut out, clean up the coils where they go in (a Dremel tool works great for this ) and then glue new ones in. BTDT. Not sure how to check wires to see if they have gone bad. But wires are cheap and never a bad idea to replace when old. Also the wires and connections feeding the coils are often suspect. Especially the ground.
                      Once again Hoomgar comes through with the answer to my question. I want to replace my plug wires before there is a problem, who knows how old the wires on the bike are and I was curious about the glued on wires, I've never seen that before. Anything I should know before I start screwing with it?
                      Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Hobbit
                        I want to replace my plug wires before there is a problem...

Anything I should know before I start screwing with it?
                        Yeah. Don't. If it's working, leave it alone. If performance starts to suffer, and you can trace the problem to the wires, replace them at that time. This fix-it-if-it-breaks policy will save you money and grief.

Comment

Then why do I hear so many people chiming in with how much better the bike seems to perform with newer coils? Better throttle response/idling/etc.
                          Here's a quote from Motor Cyclist Magazine, December, 1984 regarding a restoration of a 79 GS1000:

"...If you own a stock GS1000, you own a set of weak ignition coils. Like most other OEM motorcycle coils, Suzuki ignition coils are poor performers. Low spark energy is partially to blame for slow warm-up and overly sensitive carburetor tuning. An engine does not have to miss, backfire or burn holes in pistons to have ignition problems.
                          Since we chose Dyna for our ignition, it only made sense to use a set of its coils and wires, too. They are easy to install, more than double the energy output from stock and are more reliable. You should also change the plug wires which are molded into the stock coils.
                          ..... if you have to choose between an electronic ignition and a set of coils, leave the points on and take the coils. ....."
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
                            Here's a quote from Motor Cyclist Magazine, December, 1984 regarding a restoration of a 79 GS1000:

"...If you own a stock GS1000, you own a set of weak ignition coils. Like most other OEM motorcycle coils, Suzuki ignition coils are poor performers. Low spark energy is partially to blame for slow warm-up and overly sensitive carburetor tuning. An engine does not have to miss, backfire or burn holes in pistons to have ignition problems.
                            Since we chose Dyna for our ignition, it only made sense to use a set of its coils and wires, too. They are easy to install, more than double the energy output from stock and are more reliable. You should also change the plug wires which are molded into the stock coils.
                            ..... if you have to choose between an electronic ignition and a set of coils, leave the points on and take the coils. ....."
                            The plot thickens,...

Comment

Well I just put on Accel coils on my GS850l and they work great ,I had to bump up the pilot jet but that was easy.Oh yeah make sure you get coils that are made for your bike ignition ,ether induction or CDI .

Comment

Stock coils OK

I was just wondering if there was a good way to get new wires on the stock coils without introducing unwanted resistance on the wires. I think that they are not meant to be removed from the coils. I would like replace the spark plug wires however, because the bike has 30,000 miles on it.

It's all in the name:
                                1985 GS700ES

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X