No announcement yet.

Front Wheel Off-Center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheel is about 1/8-1/4" shifted to the left if you're looking at the front of the bike by all measurements I take. This leads me to believe it's a spacer issue.

I'll take it off and doublecheck against the schematic again.

Thanks,
    Mike

Comment

The fender has to be installed to lock the fork lowers in place. Unless one of the fork lowers is not the original or correct part (doubtful), if there's no obvious runout (i.e. wheel wobbles), then it's almost certainly spacers.

(oh, another thing, I'm assuming you checked to make sure that the axle bolt is still straight...)

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
        The fender has to be installed to lock the fork lowers in place. Unless one of the fork lowers is not the original or correct part (doubtful), if there's no obvious runout (i.e. wheel wobbles), then it's almost certainly spacers.

(oh, another thing, I'm assuming you checked to make sure that the axle bolt is still straight...)
        Thanks for sticking with this. The axle bolt did look straight to me.

I'm waiting for my friend to come home so he can print the schematic out at his place. Seems that would be a little more accurate than my previous attempts of running from my office computer down to the garage and back, or checking against my drawing, which is sadly lacking.

Comment

Mike, your fender does appear to be a little bent to the left. However, your rim has got to be installed wrong. It is not centered. Whoever did it must have compensated to get the rotor/caliper to line up correctly. There is no way that is right. I'd almost have to see pics of each side around the axle to be able to tell anything more. I'll bet spacers are in wrong. They have to be backwards, wrong position, something. It ain't right man.

Comment

It was already mentioned, but no answer... are your forks exactly the same in the triple tree? It's tough to tell from the pictures, but it almost looks like they might be off a bit, like one fork higher than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Basket Case
              It was already mentioned, but no answer... are your forks exactly the same in the triple tree? It's tough to tell from the pictures, but it almost looks like they might be off a bit, like one fork higher than the other.
              Sorry. Yes, they're the same length. At least they show the exact same amount above the TT.

Comment

What about from the TT to the axle?

Comment

Originally posted by Basket Case
                  What about from the TT to the axle?
                  Same.

Forks are the same length too.

Comment

spacer issue..

I do believe it has to come down to spacers... have you checked the / \ angles to make sure the spacers are not pushing the forks apart??? When you remove the wheel are the spacers real difficult to install?? they should go in some what ez with out forcing the fork to expand..

BTW you can run overlength spacers in the wheel and still have rebound... I did becuz of the axle mount type was different from the orig forks to the temporary forks I was using..... went from center of bottom of forks to a leading axle mount... moved the forks aprt about 1/4 inch from | |....

$.02 from experience..

Joe

Comment

Sorry for the long lapse, I was on vacation.

The spacers are all as listed in this diagram:

Except the diagram doesn't show the spacer that goes in the hole for the bottom of the fork, if that makes sense. It would be the left-hand copy of part #8.

Regardless, I think it's come down to a bent fender and an optical illusion. Although I figured how the brake would still mount if the wheel was off-center, I believe. The actual part of the brake that attaches to the disk floats back and forth, so it wouldn't matter where it was, it would still line up.

I wish I knew more about this stuff so I could use proper terminology and you guys could have half a chance to know what the f*ck I was talking about.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X