X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 Gs1000 Reg/rec Swap -- W/ Pic

I am replacing my reg and rec with a one piece
    REG/RECfrom ----ELECTROSPORT

HERE IS THE COMBO REG/REC- 3 yellow wires and a RED one.

Here is a PIC of the set up on my bike----

I have a few questions before I start cutting wires.
    The instructions say the 3 wires from the STATOR to the REC
    -RED/WHITE
    -BLUE/WHITE
    -YELLOW
    NEED TO BE HOOKED UP TO THE three yellow wires that are on the new COMBO unit.
    THen it says hook the RED to the RED on the UNIT and - DONE.

MY QUESTION IS ---
    WHAT ABOUT THE
    -BLUE/WHITE
    -YELLOW
    -BLACK/WHITE that are on the REGULATOR above the REC.

Once I start disconnecting these two boxes -
    ---Are these three wires coming from the REC and going into the REG ???
    --- Do I have to worry about them at all ????
    ------------> Or if they are coming from the STATOR
    - WHAT DO I DO WITH THE WIRES since they do not connect to the NEW REG/REC UNIT.

MORE DETAIL is appreciated...
    I figuredI would ask beforeI started digging .

THANKS IN ADVANCE......
    I hope the pics of my bike and the COMBO unit help.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2006, 05:07 PM.

Your bike has the 2 pc assembly, seperate regulator and rectifier. You remove both of those, and put in your new combined unit.

The 3 wires coming from the stator, hook up to the 3 yellow wires on the r/r (no special order). Hook up your black to battery ground, and the red to battery hot. That's it.
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

A Little More - Please

BUT - What do I do with the wires that are connected to the REGULATOR ??
      Where are they coming from ?
      What do I need to do to them ?
      Just clip them off and wrap the end of them in electric tape ??

Thanks

Comment

I'm going to make my best guesses here, but using the wiring diagram in a repair guide or manually following the wires, and possibly multimeter testing is really what you need to be sure. You will be eliminating both the old regulator and old rectifier units from your system.

You need to check which wire connects the rectifier (lower unit) to the regulator (upper unit). The basic design is that three wires come up from the stator to the rectifier, which has a single output wire that goes to the regulator (and which may go somewhere else first, possibly changing color as it does!). The regulator needs the input from the rectifier's output wire, and has an output that goes to the positive side of your electrical system (~12v to 14.5v DC+ at the positive battery terminal or maybe where the positive battery cable attaches).

Since you also need grounding, the regulator has a negative cable, which is the black/white one. (Suzuki tends to use black with a white stripe for their ground cables, and you can tell it's a ground because it connects to the frame, like the one visible in your picture.)

The finned cases of the regulator, rectifier and combo units all ground against their mountings (frame ground), but some people help them out with an extra ground wire where the bolt is, connected to the negative side of the electrical system (negative battery terminal or a good frame ground.)

Suzuki and aftermarket combo units use:
        3 stator wires (Suzuki yellow,white/blue and white/red; aftermarket uses three yellows)
        1 output wire (red)
        1 ground wire (usually black or black/white)

Separated suzuki system:
        -- rectifier:
        3 stator wires input
        1 output from rectifier to regulator
        -- regulator:
        1 input from rectifier
        1 output (to battery + )
        1 ground (black/white to frame or battery - )

When you "eliminate" the output wire from the rectifier that goes to the regulator, you'll end up with a five-wire system, just like the combo unit. I may have left out a black/white wire from the rectifier to ground, i don't know if there has to be one.

If the output wire from the rectifier goes somewhere other than directly to the regulator, then we need to figure out what that circuit does before proceeding.

Comment

Working...
        X