Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My LAST step~and, last request for HELP!! Throttle cable bracket

Hello everyone...
    I am FINALLY ready to get my carbs put in the bike..BUT!! I cannot figure out how to put on the throttle cable bracket. I have searched here, looked in my manual, and online..the pics really dont show anything..
    PLEASE help..I wanted to get the bike running today, but this is the only thing holding me up. I am crossing my fingers for Wednesday, with a little help from everyone. Thanks in advance ..
    BTW...it is a 1980 GS550E

Stick the banjo end in the hole there, threading the cable itself through the notch.

Place the two nuts on either side of the metal retainer above it and you're squared away.

Comment

UncleMike,
      Thanks for the help, but I dont know the terms of the parts that well I took another pic. I t looks as though it should slide over the choke rail? (Where my middle finger is in this pic) I can see how to hook up that "arm" thing to the two holes. Do I need c-clips to keep them on as well?
      I appreciate the help, but I need to be kind of walked through it. Ask me anyting about a car, but this stumps me!!

Comment

It doesn't belong on the choke rail. You should have a shaft running through the throttle plates. It fits on that shaft. I haven't run CV's in years and the photos in the manual won't help you. Look directly below the bracket the cable secures to and see if you can tell how it mounts.

Comment

That part actually looks like part of the choke assembly. Here's a link to a Bike Bandit page for your carbs.
          http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi..._id~993842.asp

Comment

I have that page printed; it's the same as the manual, but no good close-up, no name for the parts... I'm totally lost... I dont know what part is which... I think I'll end up going to the dealer and have them put it together.. too frustrating for me....

Comment

Check the photos here, http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm . It might help.

Comment

Comment

The more I look at it the more it looks like the stay for the choke cable.

Comment

Here's a clearer diagram with a parts list (though the part doesn't have a helpful name

This page calls it a bracket, and it has a screw and locking piece for a cable. I'm going to agree that it's part of what the choke cable mounts to.

Comment

It gets screwed on top of one of the diaphragm covers, using the same screw that holds the cover down. I couldn't find a good pic of it, but it's very similar to this:

Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Choke

The brass bracket bolts on the number 2 carb diaphragm cover on the right front bolt facing the front of the bike. The connecting rod goes on the choke rail. See the pic attachment.
                        Last edited by chef1366; 05-23-2006, 06:59 PM.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

See another pic.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH Chef!! I thought one part did go on the choke rail! I guess I will need a longer screw from the diapraghm cover?? I will look at my other set of carbs.
                            You've saved me a lot of frustration!! These service manulas are OK, but when it comes down to the final countdown, and the minute details...8-[
                            I'm going to get it running tomorrow...! I will post and let everyone know how it went!!
                            Thanks to everyone for their time, help, and understanding...:-D
                            Janice

Comment

Top view pic

And a top view of a set of junk CV's I have...GS550E.

I hope that helps, if you haven't already figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X