Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with blinker switch assembly!

Helllo everybody,

I am having issues with my 79 GS1000E model. The right blinker was blinking all of the time unless I held the button in the off position. I took the assembly apart and cleaned all of the contacts on the inside so that they were nice and shiney. I also checked to make sure that all of the mechanical parts are working properly. Everything appears to be working correctly, except the blinker wont shut off.

I have "fixed" the issue by stripping the guts out of the assembly and shorting the circuit (soldered in some wire to the ground wire and the metal clip piece in the front of the assembly which makes it turn off). I have checked all of the wires and there are no breaks in them, no cuts in the insulation, the connector is good...

What I was wondering is if there is a relay in the circuit somewhere that might be stuck in the on position? I work on electrical equipment as my job (fixing radios) and am fairly knowledgable when it comes to checking circuits like this, but I can't find any reason why the blinker is stuck in the "on" position. The only thing that I can think of is that there is a relay somewhere that I can't find. Please help.

Just replace your flasher relay. It's the most likely culprit. You can get inexpensive aftermarket relays (mine was $5). Just make sure the number/type of connectors are the same.

It's possible it's something else, but this is cheap and eliminates the most likely cause.

Comment

It should be on your electronics panel, under your left side cover, next to the r/r, solenoid, etc.
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll check the relay and go from there.

Comment

If the relay was bad wouldn't the blinker just not blink? It really sounds like a switch problem. Check all conections in the headlight, the grounds at the blinker and the ground screw inside the blinker lens.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Don, Could be the black box hanging on the battery box. When mine started to go the signals got very erratic then nothing. If you decide it is your switch I have a very good one for sale, converted to manual cancelling instead of $300 for the new black box. Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I doubt it's the flasher. On the '79 1000E, the flasher doesn't know left from right. If either side stays on or doesn't go on, BOTH sides should do the same thing if it was the flasher.
              The infamous turn signal control unit behind the right side panel is the most likely cause. Looks like a black cigarette pack. Very expensive and basically non-servicable. If you get a new/used one later, I suggest mounting some 1" foam padding between it and the battery holder. Vibration seems to be what messes these units up. Just my opinion.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I went to manual on mine for this reason. Wasn't going to pay $300 for a feature that isn't that useful to me anyway! I just put a switch off a 450 on mine and put in a standard two-pole blinker.

Comment

Working...
                X