Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how dedendable are gas inline filters?

hello out there in GS land!!
    Please tell me something.My inline gas filter on my 1982 GS1100L is between the petcoc:shock:k and the carb.It is a see throught plastic filter and it shows clean.However is it likely that junk could still get past the filer to mess up my carbs? Thanks
    Chris

maybe...

depends on how long the filter was installed.. I had one in mine that had the bronze element and could not tell if if had crud in it... replaced it with another one with a paper element... still had same issue.. I then checked the petcock filter in the tank looked clean and pristine.... ran a straight tube tio the carbs... the gas was ethanol blend and may have wicked up water from washing the tank..

just my $.02 worth... filters have a debate on this forum almost as bad as the oil issue..\

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by GS550joe
      have a debate on this forum almost as bad as the oil issue
      That is true.

In my experience, I haven't noticed a change either way. I ran my 550 both with and without an in-line fuel filter installed with no discrepancies either way. I would say this: If your petcock is missing the tube-like filter inside the gas tank, then use an in-line filter. If the petcock's filter is there, then don't use one. My carbs also have tiny screens on the bottom of each needle valve which provides further filtration. Just remember that each little filter or screen is restricting fuel flow a little more...

BTW - HOLY MOLEY! I just noticed that you are the famous "banjoman" with custom forward controls! I didn't think that you still visited the site. Anyway, how would you feel about making me a set of those controls for my 550. I REALLY need them. What's a fair price?

**EDIT** - I just looked back at this thread: New forward foot controls and noticed that the original "banjoman" had a 1982 GS750T that he put custom forward controls on, so you may not be the same person...are you?
      Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2006, 04:04 PM.

Comment

It's pretty unlikely it'll get past... I run one on my 550, just as a safeguard, and haven't regretted it at all.
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Fuel filters are unnecessary and shouldn't be used.
          The stock petcock screen is good enough to catch debris. If you have a dirty/rusty tank, it should be sealed/repaired.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X