Handlebars for someone with CTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebars for someone with CTS?

I have a bit of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. Really does not bother me unless I over do it but there's one exception, riding! I have a stock 1979 GS550E. After about 20 minutes of riding, the finger tips on my right hand start to tingle then become numb. Shifting my hand position around helps but it's rather annoying. I think the handlebars seem to turn my wrists inward too much. I'm definitely not leaning on the bars and my grip is relaxed, simply holding on. Anyone have a suggestion on a type of handlebar I could try? I don't much want to lean forward as I prefer a more upright position.

Check out a set of pull back bars. They come in different lengths and should place your wrists in a more natural position with little weight on them.

Comment

Hey onchiman,
      I'm an occupational therapist specializing in arm and hand injuries. Billy's right. What you want to avoid is any situation that places your wrists too far out of a neutral up/down, left/right position. Keep 'em straingt as possible. Pullbacks are probably the way to go, just make sure they don't cock your wrists to the right or left. You may even find an OEM style bar that fits really well.
      Since it's the right hand that seems to bother you the most, it may be the throttle grip position that is really the culprit. Try using one of those old-style throttle clamps, or a lever that attatches to the throttle grip that allows you to use the palm of your hand to operate the throttle instead of a wraparound grip. I've seen these things on eBay for pretty cheap ($20 or less).

Comment

Thanks much, I'll check those things out. I think you're right about the grip being the culprit.

Comment

For that problem, I changed my grips from the standard, thin rubber, to the soft, oversize/thick foam type. The diameter of the throttle increases from the normal aprox 1" to about 1 1/2" with the thick foam. Most bike shops carry these grips.

Earl

Originally posted by onchiman
          Thanks much, I'll check those things out. I think you're right about the grip being the culprit.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

A throttle rocker is about $10 or less at any motorcycle shop.

I also highly recommend fatter grips -- I use these Sunline grips, which are fat in the middle. They are also very heavy rubber, which helps damp some vibration. Mine are about five years old and show very little wear. The rubber is quite firm, but remains perfectly tacky even when wet.

Short term financing makes it possible to acquire highly sought-after domains without the strain of upfront costs. Find your domain name today.

You have to experiment -- many swear by Grab-On foam grips, and some even prefer the large diameter chrome and rubber grips made by the cruiser bling companies. The thin rubber and gel grips are worse than useless.

Gel gloves can make a difference, but you have to spend quite a bit of money to get enough gel to actually stay in place and make any difference. Other than that, quality leather that doesn't wrinkle up and sticks to the grips so you don't have to squeeze is all you need.

Pullback bars that come too far back so the grips are pointing rearward are even more painful thatn flat bars -- if you're in a hand position similar to gripping a screwdriver, it will cause horrible pain very quickly even for healthy wrists.

There are also Flatbars, which are intriguing but drastic:
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks, I think I'll give larger grips a try first. The Sunlines look pretty good. If that doesn't do it, then I'll try a throttle rocker then lastly swap handlebars. All these little aches and pains. If only I weren't so darn old! If I'd have known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself when I was young!

Comment

Just wanted to update this because it may help someone else. I want to thank bwringer and all others for the suggestions here. I ordered a set of the Sunline Grand Touring grips and they arriived yesterday. I put them on (after removal of some plastic on the throttle tube). I went for a nice long ride today and no more wrist pain!! What a difference small changes can make! Thanks again to all for helping me get a grip.....or two.

Comment

Working...
                X