'80 GS850G Air cleaner gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS850G Air cleaner gasket?

I just looked and there is a 1/4 inch gap between the air box and the K&N air filter assembly!! The Suzuki dealer can't find a gasket listed and Bikebandit schematic does not show one?? Shoud I just use gasket maker or is something else that will work??

From other threads, it seems like people add their own filter seals using foam weatherstripping, like from Home Depot or your local hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by kalessin
      From other threads, it seems like people add their own filter seals using foam weatherstripping, like from Home Depot or your local hardware store.
      Yep, Works Well Too!
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Yup, foam self-adhesive weatherstripping. It's a rite of passage for every 850 owner.

You have to seal the airbox covers and also the top surface of the air filter cage.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          Yup, foam self-adhesive weatherstripping. It's a rite of passage for every 850 owner.

You have to seal the airbox covers and also the top surface of the air filter cage.
          Can you give some more specifics on what weatherstripping to use - high-density/low-density foam? How thick? How wide? Is it all oil resistant or will it break down after a while? Especially to replace the thin foam that's on the inside of the airbox side covers. Do you use a single .5" strip just around where it seals, or have you found really wide sheets to cover the whole area. If you use just the strip, any suggestions about how to get it on exactly the right line where the airbox meets the cover...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ptm
            Can you give some more specifics on what weatherstripping to use - high-density/low-density foam? How thick? How wide? Is it all oil resistant or will it break down after a while? Especially to replace the thin foam that's on the inside of the airbox side covers. Do you use a single .5" strip just around where it seals, or have you found really wide sheets to cover the whole area. If you use just the strip, any suggestions about how to get it on exactly the right line where the airbox meets the cover...

Thanks
            No need to search for anything fancy. I just use the grey weatherstripping stuff with adhesive on one side from the hardware store. Comes on a roll thats like 25' long. I am not at home to measure it but it's about 1/4" wide by 1/4" thick. seems to be fairly low density open cell foam. Holds up pretty well (all foam will degrade eventually) Easy to install so it's no problem to change in on the side covers every other year or so. I use a single strip. I also put a new strip around the top of the metal filter holder every time I remove the filter just to make sure I get a good seal.

Comment

Home Depot

Just got small roll of 1/4 inch foam weather striping from Home-Depot. Says right in "many automotive and marine uses."

Comment

Originally posted by ptm

Thanks
                Absolutely no precision is required for this project -- just make sure you don't have gaps between the pieces of foam. Cover the whole inside of the side cover with foam if you want, or just the edges. The thickness doesn't matter much -- just as long as it's more than 1/4 inch or so. I don't remember if I used the 5/16 inch or 1/2 inch thickness, but it was the thickest I could find.

I used self-adhesive gray foam weatherstripping years ago and it has not broken down at all in the warm gas/oil vapor haze inside the airbox. I used yellow weatherstripping cement to stick the pieces together, and it seems to have held up as well.

I don't know what the gray foam is made from, so you might want to test your foam with a few drops of gasoline to see if it will break down. I'd stay away from a latex foam, but any polyurethane foam would probably be OK. Obviously, you'll want to thoroughly clean the surfaces where the stickum will go.

Some people have made these out of foam mouse pad material, I think in a couple of layers. Anything with RTV silicone would be a bad idea, since there's a lot of gasoline vapor in there. Go nuts, have fun, and if you come up with a better idea, let us know.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just placed and cut works well thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X