Half Power! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half Power! HELP!

BIKE SAT ON KICK STAND (NOT CENTER STAND) FOR A YEAR WITH GAS IN TANK AND CARBS: IT WAS STOLEN

I CLEANED TANK AND FUEL COCK, DRAINED CARBS, USED FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER ADDITIVE

BIKE RAN BUT UNDERPOWERED, NEEDED TO NURSE THE CLUTCH IN FIRST GEAR TO MAINTAIN POWER / ACCELERATION

TOP SPEED MUCH LOWER THAN NORMAL

I FOUND THAT THE TWO EXHAUST HEADER PIPES ON THE LEFT (VIEWED FROM SITTING ON THE BIKE) RAN MUCH COOLER THAN THE RIGHT PIPES WHICH SEEMED TO BE NORMAL TEMP.

I COULD PUT MY HAND AROUND EITHER LEFT HEADER WHILE THE RIGHT PIPES WERE TOO HOT TO TOUCH AT ALL

THERE HAS BEEN A VERY SMALL BLACK, SLIGHTLY OILY DISCHARGE FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLDS ON THE LEFT

SINCE THE TWO LEFT CYLINDERS ARE SERVED BY TWO DIFFERENT IGNITION COILS, THAT ISN’T THE CAUSE

BOTH SPARK PLUGS ON LEFT SIDE FOULED WITH BLACK CARBON WHICH SHOULD RULE OUT GUMMED UP CARBS WHICH WOULD SHOW LEAN MIX EVIDENCE

I ASSUME THAT THE EXHAUST / HEAD GASKETS COULD BE BLOWN

ANY INPUT WOULD HELP

You need to clean the carbs first of all. A "real" cleaning (meaning removal and disassembly required).
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Makes sense that its the left cylinders that run worse - that's the side that the kickstand is on, so those carbs have more varnish in them - maybe restricting an air passage which results in a too-rich condition.
      Anyway, until you remove and dis-assemble those carbs you're just playing guessing games.
      Checking for blown gaskets should be simple enough. Right after starting up the bike (when it's still cool), run your fingers along all the suspected seals and see if you feel any air puffing out.
      I've had both a blown head gasket and exhaust leaks, and that's how I pinpointed them. If you can't feel them that way then they are probably not bad enough yet to seriously affect anything.

Comment

[QUOTE=gorrbert
        ANY INPUT WOULD HELP

Try hitting the Caps Lock key.

Comment

Working...
        X