problem with starter circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with starter circuit

I just took the starter out of my 1980 GS850G because the bike wasn't cranking at all. When I hooked up a direct 12v power supply to the starter, however, it spun just fine. The lights and all other electrical stuff seems to work fine, and the bike will start with a push-start. Is there something else that I could be missing here?

Thanks!

Just because it spins fine out of the bike doesn't mean it will do so trying to crank the engine. While you have it out you should go ahead and clean up the internals. Reinstall it and see what happens. If it still won't crank run a wire from the battery to the wire coming out of the solenoid to the starter and momentarily complete that circuit to see if it cranks. If it does the solenoid is toast.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
      Just because it spins fine out of the bike doesn't mean it will do so trying to crank the engine.
      I just thought of that also after I posted. Now that I have it out, I will attempt to clean it up and such tonight. I'll try reinstalling it tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm not entirely clear on your instructions for the other part though. Are you saying to run a wire straight from the battery to the starter-motor?

Comment

Originally posted by defwack
        I just thought of that also after I posted. Now that I have it out, I will attempt to clean it up and such tonight. I'll try reinstalling it tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm not entirely clear on your instructions for the other part though. Are you saying to run a wire straight from the battery to the starter-motor?
        If you look at your solenoid you will see a couple of small guage wires and two heavy guage wires. One of the heavy gauge wires runs from the battery to the solenoid. The other runs from the solenoid to the starter. Just bypass the solenoid by running a wire between the battery and the starter side of the solenoid. Don't permanently attach the wire, you just want to touch the wire to the starter side of the solenoid and see what happens.

Comment

Ah, okay. I see now. I will give that a try when I get home from work tomorrow and it's light out. I'll post back then. Thanks for your help!

Comment

You can just use a short piece of wire and go from one side of the solenoid to the other completing the circuit between the two heavy gauge wires.

Comment

You may find it easier to use a screwdriver to make contact with the two wire lugs on the solenoid. If it turns over when you do this, I would suggest checking out the clutch safety switch (especially if your bike has been exposed to the elements). You can bypass the switch in the headlight bucket if you want to.

Comment

What's the clutch safety switch, and where would I find it? If you mean the thing where you have to have the clutch in to start the bike, mine doesn't have that. This sucker will start with or without clutch, kickstand, or in any gear. Safety was not a priority!

Comment

Originally posted by defwack
                  What's the clutch safety switch, and where would I find it? If you mean the thing where you have to have the clutch in to start the bike, mine doesn't have that. This sucker will start with or without clutch, kickstand, or in any gear. Safety was not a priority!
                  Someone has already bypassed it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    Someone has already bypassed it then.
                    In that case, you may want to clean all of your electrical connections between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid... assuming that the starter solenoid passes the test.

Comment

Working...
                    X