No announcement yet.

The Battery doesn't seem to hold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are, of course, familiar with the ON and OFF positions for the key. You probably also know that if you turn your handlebars all the way to either left or right, and turn the key to the left, past the OFF position, you will LOCK the forks.

Did you know that instead of turning the key to the left, you can turn it to the right, to the PARK position? Yep. It also locks the forks, but turns on the tail light for nighttime visibility if you have to leave it on the side of the road. The bad part is that with the small batteries on our bikes, they don't last long. If you were to happen to notice the PARK position in the bezel around the key, turn the key to that position, then walk away toward the front of the bike when you park it in daylight, you will soon come back to a dead battery.

My two GSs and my Kawasaki Voyager use this lock arrangement. My son's Yamaha Venture Royale has the PARK position on the left, beyond the LOCK. My GoldWing, however, also has it on the left, but PARK is between LOCK and OFF. On the few times that I use the LOCK position on those two bikes, I always check the tail light to make sure it is off.

(Yes, we have a BUNCH of bikes around here, but they are all Japanese, except for the Wing. It's made right here in oHIo. )

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X